Let's Talk About It? Graphic

For those less satisfied with ‘vanilla’ sex, the thought of adding food to your routine might be interesting, and it can definitely add a little spice to the act, if done safely!

There are many ways you can experiment with foods in your sex life, as Cosmo’s go-to doctor MD Jennifer Landa, chief medical officer of BodyLogicMD and author of “The Sex Drive Solution for Women,” suggests. You can even start off simply by using coconut oil as a body-safe lube alternative that smells and tastes great. If you do this, however, be very cautious with your condoms, as coconut oil leads to deterioration in latex condoms.

You could also kick off your foreplay with a bit of blind taste testing with your partner! Be careful to communicate and avoid food allergies, and you’ve got a fun, sensual game. The classic movie-worthy act of eating off of your partner’s body is also a totally fun and safe way to engage in this.

The first concern one might have when trying to incorporate food-play could be the risk of yeast infections. This can easily be solved with one simple rule: Leave food outside your body and away from genitalia. Having food around the genitals is a sure-fire way to get a yeast infection, as that part of the body is very sensitive to changes in pH and the introduction of sugars.

So if you’re wanting to add chocolate, whipped cream or even fruits, keep them closer to your torso.

Always communicate with your partner so you can avoid food allergies and sensitivities. Be sure to use foods without strong spices and herbs — If these come in contact with your mouth and hands, they can be spread to the genitalia, causing serious irritation or infection. Additionally, if you plan to use stickier foods like chocolate or whipped cream, either be prepared to have a mess to clean up or put down sheets or towels that you don’t mind getting seriously dirty and stained.

And finally, if the idea of using actual food intimidates or scares you, don’t worry!

You can make the first baby step into this realm by using flavored products such as flavored condoms or lubes. Just be careful to read the packaging because these products are not all made the same. Many types of flavored condoms and lubes are made specifically with oral sex in mind, and you should not use them when engaging in penetrative sex.

In addition, all lubes are not always compatible with all condoms, and you should be aware of the type of lube base — whether it is water, silicone or oil based. The type you use could make a world of difference in saving the life of your condoms, sex toys and sheets.

Next time you’re searching for new ways to spice up your sex life and you or your partner wonders about using food in bed, keep these tips in mind, and be safe!

Do you have a question about sex, sexuality, or relationships? You can ask us to find you accurate and reliable information from experts by tweeting @SEATUTK, direct messaging @Sexweekut on Facebook or submitting a question to ouranonymous Google form.