Mollie Chambers

From a seemingly staged crime scene to a three-page ransom note, JonBenét Ramsey’s murder case is truly puzzling. There are so many holes within this case it’s not hard to formulate my own theory behind her death.

On Dec. 26, 1996, Patsy Ramsey called the Boulder County Police Department to report that her six-year-old daughter JonBenét Ramsey had been kidnapped. Upon the police’s arrival, it was discovered that JonBenét Ramsey was not kidnapped — she was murdered.

This discovery lead investigators to search for a murderer who would never be found. However, I believe JonBenét’s killers were the ones who were supposed to love and protect her, her family.

While I do not believe the murder was premeditated, I do believe that her family intentionally covered up JonBenét’s accidental death. I suspect that Burke Ramsey, JonBenét’s brother, accidently killed his sister. Then after finding out, I believe Patsy and John Ramsey covered up the murder in order to protect their son.

After reflecting on the facts of this case, I have outlined how I believe Patsy, John and Burke Ramsey all contributed to JonBenét’s tragic death.

1. Patsy Ramsey: The Ransom Note

On the morning of Dec. 26, Patsy claimed to have found a ransom note on the staircase. When investigators looked over the contents of the ransom note they, just like me, were shocked.

Not only was the ransom note three pages long, but it was later uncovered that the pen and paper used to write said note came from inside the house. Although I am no killer, I do have enough sense not to write the ransom note in the same house as the girl I am kidnapping, much less one that drags on for three pages.

When it comes to the actual contents of the note, most of it was either meaningless or extremely repetitive. The note was addressed to John Ramsey and requested $118,000 in exchange for his daughter. This seems odd to me seeing as though the Ramseys were known to be extremely wealthy. Why not ask for more?

Consequently, $118,000 was the exact amount of money John received that year as a Christmas bonus. This means that whoever wrote this note had a close relationship with the family.

Another noteworthy fact about JonBenét’s ransom note was the handwriting. When analyzed by a handwriting specialist it was found that the handwriting used for the note was eerily similar to that of Patsy Ramsey.

With these facts considered, I believe that Patsy Ramsey played her part in covering up her daughter’s murder by writing the ransom note that directed the blame away from her son.

2. John Ramsey: The Crime Scene

When investigators first arrived at the Ramsey home, they focused their searching on the outside of the house. Seeing as though JonBenét’s disappearance was suspected to be a kidnapping, investigators searched relentlessly for any signs of the young girl’s whereabouts or forced entry.

When this came up short, investigators informed John Ramsey they were going begin to search the inside of his home. After hearing this, Ramsey and his friend Fleet White tagged along to help. It was during this search that Ramsey discovered his daughter’s body.

Fleet was standing beside Ramsey when he found his daughter’s corpse. He claimed that Ramsey announced he had found JonBenét before the lights in the room had been turned on. This gives me the impression that John knew exactly where his daughter's body was, as if he had placed it there himself. On top of this, JonBenét’s body was covered by a white sheet, meaning he claimed to identify her body before even seeing it.

Upon removing the sheet, JonBenét’s body was found with a cord wrapped around her neck and wrists along with duct tape on her mouth. After seeing his daughter in this state, he was quick to scoop her up and take her upstairs. I believe John did this to contaminate the crime scene before it could be investigated further.

As far as I can tell, John Ramsey’s role in concealing his daughter's murder was to piece together the crime scene, making it appear as though someone had broken in and strangled her.

3. Burke Ramsey: The Killing

The night before JonBenét’s alleged kidnapping, John Ramsey claims he carried his daughter to bed and tucked her in one final time. While this was happening, Patsy was in the kitchen preparing Burke a late-night snack.

I believe that after the parents went to bed, JonBenét got up to use the bathroom and then made her way downstairs. Upon seeing her brother eating, she decided she was hungry too. This prompted her to steal a piece of the pineapple Burke was eating and this sent him spiraling.

I know it appears silly to theorize that a nine-year-old killed his younger sister over a piece of pineapple, but I think this is the only logical explanation for JonBenét’s death.

According to a family friend, Burke Ramsey had always been quick to anger even before his sister’s death. During a game of golf with his sister, Burke lost his temper and hit her in the head with a golf club, leaving a scar on her head. Burke lashing out at his sister did not end there, according to Ramsey’s former housekeeper, Burke used to spread his feces around his sister's room whenever she upset him.

Burke had no issue lashing out at his sister in the past, and I believe the night of her death was no different. JonBenét’s actions triggered Burke to strike her in the head just as he had before, only this time his actions killed her.

More evidence found at the scene supports my proposed theory. Investigators uncovered a large flashlight beside the bowl of pineapple Burke had been eating. Seeing as though the flashlight was within arm’s reach, I believe Burke grabbed the flashlight in a fit of anger and beat his sister. On top of this, JonBenét’s autopsy revealed that there were pieces of undigested pineapple in her system. This proves that she did consume the pineapple that had been prepared for her brother.

JonBenét’s murder is truly heart-breaking. If my theory is true, it saddens me that a mother and father could so easily turn their back on one of their children to protect another.

While this case remains unsolved for now, I hope that in the near future JonBenét gets the justice she deserves, no matter the outcome.

Mollie Chambers is a freshman majoring in journalism and electronic media. She can be reached at mollcham@vols.utk.edu.