Throughout the week of April 22, many student organizations on campus put on environmental events and campaigns in recognition of Earth Day. However, a handful of UT organizations promote Earth Day's green mindset year round.

UT Recycling

This organization affects the daily lives of most students, whether they realize it or not. Each time you go to throw away a piece of paper, but instead choose to put it in the blue recycling bins located across campus, you're contributing to UT Recycling's efforts. After its formation in 2013, UT Recycling has used promotions, collection services, recycling drop-offs, talks on recycling and partnerships with other organizations and events in order to work towards a campus that is waste-free. UT Recycling's "Zero Waste" initiative provides recycling and compost services for large-scale campus events, including all of the year's sporting events. They especially encourage students to volunteer and promote this waste-free mindset to the public on game day.

The Mug Project

A program within UT Recycling, The Mug Project is a campus-wide campaign to eliminate the use of plastic and styrofoam cups. The idea is that each student will be given one cup that can be used for coffee, soda and other various uses at a discounted price at campus dining locations. These cups are often given away at various locations and events on campus.

UTK Environment and Sustainability Committee

As part of UT's Student Government Association, the goal of UTK Environment and Sustainability Committee focuses on improving the environment of the campus and surrounding areas in Knoxville while promoting awareness for students. They offer events such as lectures on Climate Change and Zero Waste workshops tasked with collecting items for recycling.

Make Orange Green

Make Orange Green is the slogan of UT's Office of Sustainability, which is behind most of the environmental events and smaller organizations on campus. Make Orange Green works towards sustainability within the university as a whole. Their goals include reducing pollution created by sources on campus, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, promoting recycling, adding to the beauty of nature on campus and creating a healthy, dedicated sustainability culture on campus. All special volunteering such as cleanup projects and alternative spring and fall break service projects are part of Make Orange Green's efforts.