Summer treats

As the summer heat approaches, beating the heat seems to just happen in the sweet serenity of air conditioning. Here are four treats to make that can help you beat the heat while enjoying the summer sun.

Ice cream in a bag

Ice cream in a bag is a kid's science experiment dream: six ingredients turn an ice-cold treat. For this, you'll need 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup half-and-half, 1 tablespoon white sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup ice cubes, or as needed and 3 tablespoons ice cream rock salt.

Grab a pint-size resealable sandwich bag and combine the milk, half-and-half, sugar and vanilla extract in it. Seal the bag tightly. Next, grab a gallon-size resealable plastic bag and combine the ice, 3 tablespoons ice cream rock salt and the pint-size bag mixture into the bad. Seal it tightly.

Rock, don't shake, the bag back and forth until the ingredients thicken into ice cream. This typically takes about 10 minutes. Make sure to wipe the salt from the top of the pint-size bag before opening to keep salt from making salty ice cream.

Root beer float popsicles

If root beer is one of your favorite drinks, this sweet treat combines the soda with ice cream to create unique popsicles that you probably won't find in the store.

You'll need popsicle molds to make root beer popsicles, but you only need two ingredients: 12-14 ounces of root beer and 1 1/4 cup vanilla bean ice cream that has been slightly softened. To soften the ice cream, just leave the tub out for a few minutes.

Pour a small amount of root beer into each popsicle mold and then even distribute the ice cream between the popsicle molds, which is best done in spoonfuls. Pour the rest of the root beer in small amounts, allowing for foam to die down before pouring more to fill to the top.

After covering the popsicle molds with their lids, freeze until fully frozen. Remove popsicles by running hot water for a few seconds on the molds.

Fluffy creamsicles

Creamsicle fluff is made with 1 box orange Jell-O, 1 box instant vanilla pudding, 1 cup boiling water, 1/2 cup cold water, 8 ounces Cool Whip, 14-ounce can drained mandarin oranges and 1 cup mini marshmallows.

Grab a large bowl to combine orange Jell-O and boiling water, and whisk in the Jell-O until it is dissolved. Add cold water and allow the mix to chill for about 15 minutes in the fridge. Once the mix is chilled, slowly whisk in the vanilla pudding mix until it is smooth. Chill for around 20 minutes or until the mixture is slightly thickened.

Once this is chilled, fold in Cool Whip, mandarin oranges and marshmallows. Chill for at least one hour before serving.

Lemon cookies

Only three ingredients make up these lemon cookies, with just a few more for a buttercream frosting drizzle. To make the cookies, you'll need a lemon cake mix, one egg and a stick of softened butter. For the frosting, you'll need a stick of butter, 2 cups of powdered sugar and a couple teaspoons of milk.

Start with the cookies. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all three ingredients - lemon cake mix, one egg and a stick of softened butter - to form the cookie dough. Roll into 1-inch-sized balls and then bake for 7-10 minutes; once the cookies start to crack, remove from the oven.

While the cookies bake, mix the frosting ingredients - a stick of butter, 2 cups of powdered sugar and a couple teaspoons of milk - to a drizzling consistency. Keep adding milk and powdered sugar until the drizzle is as desired and then top the cookies with it.