Sonic movie

After years of rewrites and development hell, everyone’s favorite blue blur has finally made it to the big screen.

While Sonic the Hedgehog might not have the best track record in video gaming, he is undeniably one of the biggest mascots of the medium (or at least he was in the 1990s). The transition from video game to movie clearly isn’t easy, however. All it takes is one viewing of “Street Fighter,” “Mortal Kombat” or the “Super Mario Bros.” movie to see that sometimes, games should stick to be games.

After years of wondering if Sonic would ever get a movie, he finally has. “Sonic the Hedgehog” was actually supposed to release back in November, until fan backlash to Sonic’s original design caused Paramount to push the movie back to fix it.

This gave fans a newfound confidence in the film. The only thing that was changed in those four months, however, was Sonic’s CGI. The actual content of the film had not been changed at all, so personally, I was still incredibly skeptical.

It turns out that my skepticism was misplaced as I enjoyed this movie way more than I ever thought I would.

“Sonic the Hedgehog” follows Sonic, a bright blue hedgehog from another planet. When his life is threatened as a child, he is sent to Earth for his own safety. Ten years later, evil, government scientist Dr. Robotnik discovers Sonic. The only person that can help the blue blur make it safely to a new planet is Tom Wachowski, a small-town police officer that befriends Sonic.

One of the best things about “Sonic the Hedgehog” is Sonic himself. The redesign was well worth the wait and looks fantastic in live action. Ben Schwartz does an amazing job giving the character life and delivers a hilarious voice performance.

The film is surprisingly well written, working in nods to the Sonic games and fanbase that worked for veteran and new fans alike. While the humor can be childish at times, it never sticks to any bad jokes or bits for too long.

One’s enjoyment of “Sonic the Hedgehog” might very well depend on one’s tolerance for Jim Carrey. If films such as “Dumb and Dumber,” “Batman Forever” and “The Mask” are some of your favorites, you will absolutely love Carrey in this movie.

His portrayal of Dr. Robotnik is much less of an adaptation of the video game character and more of a role supposedly written for Carrey; personally, I find him annoying, but to each his own.

All of the film’s other performances are pretty good. While he certainly won’t be winning any awards for his performance, James Marsden does a good job as Tom Wachowski, Sonic’s best friend.

The film’s story is where things begin to break down. Lots of plot points are brought up and never mentioned again or are simply unexplained. These weren’t enough for me to dislike the film, but they definitely stuck out.

Overall, “Sonic the Hedgehog” was much better than I expected. While I went in looking for a garbage video game flick to tear apart, I left having seen an enjoyable family film that all ages can enjoy.

While it is in no way perfect, I could see myself watching this one again, especially if it gets the sequel that is teased in the last few minutes of the film.

3/5 stars