CMA Fest: The Adelaides

The Adelaides perform on the Broadway Stage during day two of CMA Fest in Nashville. 

Severe weather on Friday morning delayed daytime performances until 11 a.m., with the rain cascading down throughout central Tennessee. Even with the slower start, fans put on their rain jackets and ponchos to continue another full day of country music.

Riverfront Stage

The first performance of the day at the Riverfront Stage brought a mix of Southern blues, old school soul, drawling rock and a classic muscular country to the stage with the band A Thousand Horses. The band is made of lead vocal Michael Hobby, lead guitar Bill Satcher, guitarist and vocalist Zach Brown, and bass player and vocal singer Graham Deloach.

Georgia native Lauren Alaina took the stage after Maddie & Tae, rocking out to a filled out arena at the Riverfront Stage. With the weather already drier with no rain, Alaina sung her newest head bobbing tune “Ladies in the 90s” a throwback to her childhood growing up in the 1990s and to many iconic 90s female singers like Britney Spears and songs like Madonna’s “Man, I Feel Like a Woman,” and “Say My Name,” by Destiny’s Child.

Maui Jim Broadway Stage

Bringing with them the UK country music scene, Abi Phillips, Paris Georgia and Alicia Alba of The Adelaides sang a diverse set including upbeat and power ballads, as well as some cover songs. The group performed a rendition of Miley Cyrus’s “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” and their song “Reckless.”

Ending their set with “Good Love,” their most recent single that they released in May, Phillips, Georgia and Alba left the crowd dancing to the powerful tune.

Following them was newly inducted of CMT’s Next Women of Country class of 2019 Stephanie Quayle. Quayle and her band turned up the beat as the speakers boomed into the growing crowd.

Quayle performed a mix of new and already known songs including “What You Drinking About,” “Selfish,” and her newest single “If I Was a Cowboy.”

Budweiser Forever Country Stage

Sitting across from the Riverfront stage and next to the Ascend Amphitheatre, the Budweiser Forever Country stage had its fair share of artists performing. Singer-songwriter from Miami, Florida Keith Anderson took to the stage at 2 p.m. and performed his song “Lost in This Moment.”

Following Anderson were three more sets including artists award-winning songwriter Kendell Marvel, Thompson Square’s husband and wife duo Keifer and Shawna Thompson and actor and singer Charles Esten, who is best known for his role as Deacon Claybourne on the AMC show “Nashville.”

After Marvel’s performance, he went to the Music City Center to meet fans Tweeting, “Then I’ll be meetin’ & greetin’ at the CMA booth signing @ Fan Fair X from 4:00-5:00pm. C’mon down to the party y’all.”

The CMA Fest Foundation sent out an alert via email and over the CMA Fest app at around 5 p.m. letting festival goers know that the rest of the daytime shows would not continue.

“Due to inclement weather in the downtown Nashville area, performances at all CMA Fest outdoor daytime stages will not resume for the remainder of the day,” the alert said.

At 5:27 p.m., the CMA Fest app again pinged with a notification for attendees letting them know that Ascend Amphitheater would open its doors at 5:30 p.m. with limited tickets available and that the gates would be delayed at Nissan Stadium, opening at 6:45 p.m.

As the second evening of performances approaches, it looks like attendees will be sitting in the rain again.