Bicycle

World Bicycle Day is Monday, June 3, 2019. 

Knoxville offers ample opportunity to ride your way through World Bicycle Day. Here's four ways to celebrate the international holiday.

Bike Knoxville's Urban Wilderness

Over 65 miles of greenways are offered across the city, with options for the recreational biker or the adventure enthusiast. Challenging and hilly roads and trails are available, along with traffic-friendly road cycling and mountain biking.

Urban Wilderness offers Baker Creek Preserve, which houses the professionally designed and contracted .8-mile trail, the Devil's Racetrack Downhill Trail.

If you decide to head outdoors, be sure to take measure to keep yourself cool in the heat. Make sure to bring lots of water and electrolyte-rich sports drinks on your cycling trip, taking ample breaks to drink. Try to bike in a particularly shady area on especially sunny days, and wear sunscreen. Wear light-colored and lightweight clothing.

Indoor cycle

If it's too hot outside, break a sweat indoors by attending a CycleBar class. CycleBar Bearden, 5444 Homberg Dr., offers multiple classes a day, varying in difficulty and type. Classic, performance, connect and themed are the basic class types. Some classes are sponsored, with partial proceeds going to the organization, while other classes have sweepstakes. A schedule of the classes offered can be found here.

For a 45-minute, high-energy, calorie-burning, full-body workout experience, look no further than TurboSpin Cycling Studio, 215 Brookview Centre Way Suite 106. Instructors guide cyclists through music-driven classes and help make the most of workouts. First classes are free and all you have to do is sign-up here. Arrive 15 minutes early and get ready to sweat!

Join, support a local cycling group

From off-road biking to social biking, there's a club in Knoxville looking for you to join or support them. Organizations vary regarding mission and purpose.

The Appalachian Mountain Bike Club promotes sustainable trail access for off-road cyclists and also maintains the trails that mountain bikers ride and other groups use.

Connecting and inspiring women who like riding bikes, Liv Cycling hosts rides on Knoxville's greenways and trails and events to teach women how to maintain bicycles.

Nonprofit DreamBikes uses used bikes to provide jobs for local youth by providing skill training and employment opportunities through bicycle repair and sales.

A plethora of other groups exist; a list made by the “Knoxville Mercury” can be found here.

Get ready for the USA Cycling championships

The USA Cycling championships will close out June, as hundreds flood Knoxville for the three-day event. As the second time all U.S. national champions in professional road cycling are crowned in the same week, Knoxville will host the U.S. Pro Road and Individual Time Trial Championships for the third year, U.S. Pro Criterium Championships for the second year and Para-Cycling National Championships for the first year.

WATE will provide live coverage of the event, starting June 27. The Individual Time Trial will happen June 27, the Criterium on June 28 and Para-Cycling on June 29. The Pro Road Cycling Championships will cap out the weekend on June 30.

VIP passes are available for the event, along with more information about parking and schedule, here. The event is also asking for volunteer; sign up here.