Voting01

On Tuesday, Knoxvillians everywhere will head to the polls to vote in the city’s primary election. Here is what you need to know about how the primary works, who is running and how you can vote.

How this works

The election on Tuesday is known as a primary. In this primary, which includes six races, the nonpartisan candidates must receive more than 50 percent of the votes in their respective races for a winner to be declared. If that does not happen, then a general election will take place in November in which only the top two candidates from the primary will appear on the ballot.

The mayoral race

The highly-contested mayoral race is taking center stage in Tuesday’s primary. Knoxville’s mayor is limited to two terms in office, meaning the current Knoxville mayor Madeline Rogero cannot run for reelection. Six candidates are currently seeking the mayorship in the primary election, making it the most competitive race on the ballot.

The six candidates are Michael W. Andrews, Fletcher “Knoxville” Burkhardt, Indya Kincannon, Eddie Mannis, Calvin Taylor Skinner and Marshall Stair.

Most of the candidates bring business or past political experience to the table. Both Kincannon, the former chairwoman of the Knox County School Board, and businessman Eddie Mannis have worked for Mayor Rogero. Stair, a litigation lawyer, has served Knoxville for the last eight years as an at-large city councilman. Andrews, a licensed barber, also brings business experience to the table.

The other candidates are bringing different perspectives to the race.

Burkhardt is a self-employed social media specialist. Some of his top priorities include education, homelessness and economic growth. Skinner spent most of his career working around the country in leadership development; he is centering his campaign around jobs and making life in Knoxville more affordable.

The city council race

Three city council seats are also on the ballot for Tuesday’s primary. All three at-large city council seats are up for grabs, as well as district five’s seat.

Of all the council elections, at-large seat C is the most contested, with five candidates seeking the seat. Those five candidates are Amy Midis, Amelia Parker, Hubert (Frazier) Smith, Bob Thomas and David Williams.

Lynne Fugate and Charles F. Lumax Jr. are running against each other for at-large seat A. At-large seat B also only has two candidates: David Haynes and Janet Testerman. Charles Al Bawi and Charles Thomas are the two candidates running for district 5’s city council seat. John R. Rosson Jr. is currently running unopposed in the race for municipal judge.

How you can vote

To vote in district 5’s city council race, you must live within district 5. All the other races are city-wide and any registered voter in Knoxville can vote in those races.

For more information on Tuesday’s primary and information on where to go to cast your vote, visit knoxcounty.org.