September 24 City Council Meeting
Members of the council vote and discuss the resolutions on the agenda for the meeting on Tuesday, September 24, 2019.

On Oct. 8, the city council passed a resolution authorizing the mayor to accept and express appreciation for the Knoxville Fire Fighter’s Association.

A donation of $19,890.90 was given to provide for the purchase of supplies for the Knoxville Fire Department’s child safety program, “Learn Not To Burn.” The resolution was requested by the Knoxville Fire Department.

The chief of the Knoxville Fire Department Stan Sharp showed his appreciation for the Knoxville Fire Fighter’s Association.

“I want to thank Kevin (president of Knoxville Fire Fighter’s Association) and the Fire Fighter’s Association for providing this funding. The ‘Learn Not To Burn’ program is a primary method that we use to reach school age (children) and teach them about fire safety. The Knoxville Fire Fighter’s Association has been providing funding for this program for over ten years now,” Sharp said. “I just think it’s a great example of how our fire fighters support this community even when they are off duty.”

Councilman Andrew Roberto, who is in charge of the second district, reminded people about the next media representatives meeting with the fourth district county commissioner, Hugh Nystrom and the fourth district school board representative, Virginia Babb. The meeting will be held on Oct. 15 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Emmy’s Frozen Yogurt located on 124 N Forest Park Blvd.

“I encourage all the council members to join us. It’s a really great opportunity to meet with your local representatives in casual setting. It’s designed for you to come by and stop by quickly or you can stay the whole time if you’d like,” Roberto said.

Roberto announced that West Hills will be holding its neighborhood general meeting on Oct. 21 starting at 7 p.m. West Hills Community Association was founded in 1964 by its residents of the neighborhood located on Kingston Pike, near West Town Mall.

In addition, councilwoman Gwen McKenzie commented on the Save our Sons Initiative’s Community Resource Fair held at Honey Rock Victorious Church in the Burlington Community on Sept. 28. and thanked the staff working at the fair.

“I did have the occasion to be one of those 200+ people that received services there … It was really a wonderful event, the first one I had opportunity to participate in and I was also fairly impressed to see our city staffs from Save Our Sons serving people inside of the church,” McKenzie said.

The Knoxville City Council meeting schedule and agenda are available on the city council website. The next meeting will be held on Oct. 22.