Rhythm and Blooms

The Rhythm N’ Blooms Festival is making a rockin’ comeback with a new lineup.

The annual music festival will return from May 17 to May 19 with 50 artists from different genres and areas in Tennessee, with most of the musicians coming from Knoxville.

With the aim of the festival to celebrate the musical culture of East Tennessee, the festival brings together instrumentalists, singer-songwriters, producers and music fans for a spring weekend looking toward the imminent summer.

Bands

Almost half of this year’s lineup is comprised of groups.

Billboard-charting band The Black Lillies will be a part of the festival, blending rock and roll and country music with explosive and jubilant sounds. Folk band Cereus Bright is hoping to convey honesty in a time of “fakery” in music with performances of songs from their latest albums.

The duo of cellist Dave Eggar and drummer and programmer Chuck Palmer make up Cellogram. As a Harvard and Juilliard graduate, Eggar has received numerous accolades, including three Grammy nominations and the Sony Records Elevated Standards prize for accomplishments in classical music, performing at Carnegie Hall and working with iconic artists such as Madonna, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lopez and Tony Bennett.

Palmer has also received a Grammy nomination and worked with famous producer RJD2.

Local band made up of UT undergraduates Jimmy’s Cheeks will also be featured at the festival, covering popular rock songs while performing a few of their own original pieces. Along with being students of different disciplines at UT, the band was also a finalist at UT Battle of the Bands.

Ranging from hip-hop to art pop, the rest of the lineup includes: Peak Physique, Cutthroat Shamrock, Teen Spirit, Cicada Rhythm, Rainbow Girls, & More, Tank and the Bangas, Dawes, Game Night and more.

Solo acts

The sounds of the cello will be reintroduced in the festival by cellist and singer Scott Mulvahill, whose work has been documented by NPR, has received several honors and took part in Grammy-winning band Kentucky Thunder.

Eclectic singer-songwriter Adeem the Artist will perform his self-described “cerebral music,” while “southern storyteller” Tyler Childers will sing songs influenced by the “mountain sound” stemming from his love for the Appalachian Mountains.

Musicians like former music therapist Kyshona and Nashville native Tristen will sing emotionally-driving stories and artists like Katie Pruitt and Andy Wood will take the stage with their acoustic performances.

Performers like singer and producer from Pittsburgh, Benji., and New Yorker Shara Nova of The Brightest Diamond will be visiting Knoxville to take part in the festival.

The rest of the solo performances are also available on the website.

Other events

For the third year in a row, the festival will include a “silent disco,” in which attendees will dance together to music played through individual headphones.

The festival will go beyond music. Poet Bill Alexander, also known as “Basket Bill” and the “Appalachian Hippie Poet,” will be performing his poetry about being “born from mountain, bottle and heart.”

Passes can be bought on the Rhythm N’ Blooms website. General admission tickets are available for all three days or each day and VIP tickets include meet and greet opportunities, t-shirts, party entries and posters.