Dr. Dog and The Nude Party

Dr. Dog and the Nude Party filled the Mill & Mine with radiant electric music Thursday March 7, 2019.

Dr. Dog and the Nude Party filled the Mill & Mine with radiant electric music this past Thursday night. The show was a stop on the tour for Dr. Dog’s recently-released album “Critical Equation.”

“Critical Equation” has been a particularly important release for Dr. Dog; the album was created after the band took a long break from recording and touring.

The break marked a new era. Once reunited, the band discovered that the separation and time of emotional difficulty had only served to bring the members closer to each other and allowed them to create a work of music with an entirely new sound.

Historically, Dr. Dog’s work has featured indie music heavily influenced by the sounds of the sixties and the nineties. The band played their classic tunes of this genre at the Mill and Mine, in addition to those off of their new album. When the band played a song from “Critical Equation,” it was immediately recognizable as hailing from their new era. The tunes are experimental and nearly hypnotic; they come alive with the metal strings of an electric guitar.

Patton Magee of The Nude Party noted Dr. Dog's experimental and varying sound.

“Some of their songs have really interesting instrumental changes. Sometimes they’ll introduce instruments that are not on any other song but just on this song,” Magee said. “They’ve got the one that sounds like someone's playing a digeridoo. Honestly half the time I don’t know what it is, what they're using to make some of these sounds.”

Another band member, Catfish DeLorme, added that Dr. Dog’s music has evolved even in the last few weeks.

“It’s changed since the day one too; It seems like they’ve introduced new sounds since the beginning of the tour,” DeLorme said.

The Nude Party has toured with Dr. Dog for the past month, and their performance at the Mill and Mine was the group’s second-to-last show with Dr. Dog. Their indie music is rather similar to that of Dr. Dog in that it is also heavily influenced by the sound of the sixties. The band originated in North Carolina with a group of college students.

“We wanted to start a band -- but we didn’t know how to play music. So we decided to start a band and then we bought instruments. And it was lucky enough that no one wanted to play the same instrument,” Magee said.

And, believe it or not, The Nude Party does in fact perform clothed.

“We just made it up. We thought it would be a fun name,” Magee said.

In addition to travelling all around the country, getting zero sleep and hanging out with the members of Dr. Dog, DeLorme said that the Nude Party has been able to share their music with a great variety of people.

“The crowds have been really nice,” DeLorme said of the tour’s concert-goers. “Very, very supportive of what’s happening with both bands, so it kind of opens you up to meeting different people. People that wouldn’t naturally listen to your music come to the show.”

Magee also enjoyed this aspect of connecting with the crowd.

“There’s sort of just an unspoken positive thing passing back and forth that you can’t really put your finger or like you can’t measure it or anything but when you walk off feeling good, you can implicitly know that [the audience] is walking away feeling good, too. It’s a subtle thing,” Magee said.