CMA Fest: Emily Ann Roberts

Emily Ann Roberts performs at the Spotify House on day four of CMA Fest on Sunday, June 9.

Emily Ann Roberts became a household name in Knoxville back in 2015 when the then 17-year-old Knoxville native competed on “The Voice,” coming in second place.

Now, three years later, Roberts is making her ‘someday dream’ a reality with the release of her new music and her EP “Someday Dream” available on July 12.

The singer/songwriter has worked hard the last three years, diving into the music industry and finding her way while staying true to herself.

“A big thing I had to kind of overcome when I first came to Nashville was I had a lot of people telling me just a bunch of different things and their opinions on what I should do or what my music should be or what I should say,” Roberts said. “I was 17-years-old so I never knew anything about the music industry, I was very green for sure. So I had to really come to a point where I dug my heels in the dirt and said, ‘No, I’m going to do what I want to do and I’m going to be true to me.’

“It took me a long time to get to that place because I was, I had so many different voices telling me we got to take you and make it fit or make it work,” Roberts added. “That put me in such a box.”

But Roberts followed her heart to create music that reflected who she is with songs that came naturally to her and showcased what a genuine person she is, which then opened up the gates for her music. The songwriting process became easier and her vision for her upcoming album became clearer.

With songs like “Someday Dream,” “Stuck on You & Me,” and “Wild” on her album, fans can look forward to getting to know Roberts through music that she described as fun, encouraging, kind of rootsy and organic, but definitely real country music.

Roberts encourages others to follow their dreams because she understands how impossible it can seem.

“So many times I look back and I’m like, ‘How did this happen that I’m getting to live my dreams?’ Like 10-year-old Emily Ann would be freaking out right now, but the biggest thing I want people to see whenever they hear my music or hear my story is if me, a simple girl from Knoxville, Tennessee can make her dreams a reality, then anybody can,” Roberts said. “I try to be the biggest cheerleader that I can be for everybody, because I really do believe that.”

While Roberts is already working on her country music dreams, that’s not the only dream she hopes comes true. What many fans may not know is that Roberts loves to bake, something she found a passion for while on “The Voice.”

“I’m obsessed with baking and cooking,” Roberts said. “It’s really funny, when I was on “The Voice,” it was like music non-stop. I had to have something, like when we would come back to the hotel at night that was so opposite of music. So I started watching “Cupcake Wars” on Netflix, no joke, and I came home and I was like, ‘I’m going to learn how to bake cupcakes.’”

Watching YouTube videos on how to make cupcakes and decorating videos, Roberts herself started baking cupcakes.

Which isn’t the only sweet that Roberts makes as according to her website blog she recently made Homemade Raspberry Sweet Rolls, giving tips that she learned during the process and the instructions on how to make them.

“It is a huge dream of mine to own a bakery one day in Knoxville.”

Roberts continues to be an uplifting voice through her story. While she herself is still figuring everything out, like finding a place to live in Nashville so she doesn’t have to continuously commute back and forth from Knoxville, Roberts hopes her story helps people keep chasing their ‘someday dreams.’

“There’s no dream too big and I try to tell people that all the time,” Roberts said. “No matter what you want to do--if you want to be a teacher or an astronaut or a doctor or whatever--keep chasing it, keep doing it and I was so blessed to have people encourage me to keep practicing on the guitar and keep singing, just keep going. I hope I can be that voice for people too, that they can do, that they can keep going and keep pursuing their dreams.”