bts Map of Soul 7 album cover

Global phenomenon BTS have released their newest album: “Map of the Soul: 7.”

While some may be unfamiliar with the K-pop group, they are known and loved around the world by their dedicated fanbase, referred to as “ARMY.”

However, you do not have to be a member of ARMY to enjoy their magnificent new record.

Also, a common misconception is that you have to know Korean to appreciate their music. There are translations available for each song to interpret the lyrics, but even without understanding the language, BTS’s emotions can be easily conveyed, and the music itself is incredibly catchy.

The group’s seven members, known by stage names Jin, SUGA, J-Hope, RM, Jimin, V and Jungkook, have outdone themselves on “7,” singing and rapping about various themes ranging from the trials they have experienced to the love they have for each other and for their beloved ARMY.

This album is very complex, though, and is jam-packed with interesting content.

In several interviews, group leader RM has explained that the album’s title can mean many different things – the group has seven members, seven is a lucky number and seven is also the number of years the group has been together.

Even though it would be easy to talk about every song in depth, there were a few that stood out among the others.

ON

The album’s title track “ON” is an absolute powerhouse. All seven members are featured in this contagious hit in which they both sing and rap about the many experiences they have had over the years.

The members of BTS understand that not everything is going to be perfect or easy in life. Yet, in the pre-chorus, the lyrics “can’t hold me down ‘cause you know I’m a fighter” show that they are ready for whatever is thrown at them.

The chorus fiercely announces, “Bring the pain on.” These guys are prepared for anything.

Also, I must mention that the bridge is beautifully sung by youngest member Jungkook and was a great addition to the already outstanding sensation that is “ON.”

While the members’ voices are excellent, there is an actual marching band assisting the track as well which adds an extra flare that shows their diversity – they combine technology and live music in an amazing way.

Aside from the empowering lyrics themselves, this song is also just insanely catchy with an infectious beat, and you will definitely be singing it after the first listen.

Friends

This track is quite possibly one of the most heartwarming on the album.

Longtime best friends Jimin and V beautifully express their love for each other in “Friends,” an undeniably sweet tune that will have you thinking of your go-to person in a heartbeat and smiling the whole way through.

They reminisce about the way that they met, two awkward teens in a new and unfamiliar city. They could not have been more opposite, claiming that they were respectively from the stars and moon and that their conversations “were like homework.”

Despite their differences, though, they ponder if that is what makes their bond so special.

They ask one another that when they are older and circumstances have changed if they will still stay by each other’s sides no matter what.

Toward the end of the track, they proudly declare that they are each other’s soulmates. If that doesn’t make you want to cry, I don’t know what will.

Moon

Every ARMY will swoon at this song, guaranteed. Or burst into tears ... or both.

“Moon” is upbeat while also having some of the most loving and inspiring lyrics. Oldest BTS member Jin’s vocals shine as he declares his love for ARMY and says that he will do anything for them.

He says that his fans loved him before he was ever as famous as he has become, and they even gave him a purpose. They are his earth, and he is “just a moon” that will light up their night sky.

Additionally, he proclaims that in both the good times and bad his fans are always there for him, and in turn he will do the same for them.

Most celebrities often do not show their adoration for their fans as much as or in the way that BTS does, and it is obvious that they care for them tremendously.

We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal

This is an intense song with an equally intense title.

“We Are Bulletproof: The Eternal” delves into the fact that while they were initially just seven members and nothing more, they now have so much love and support from their ARMY – hence the term “bulletproof.”

Once again, the group discusses the fact that they are not scared anymore and can take any trials that come their way. They have such a strong backing from each other and their fans that the spirit of their music feels unstoppable.

Also, they realize that they’ve made it. These seven guys who came from different walks of life have finally “gotten to heaven,” as they say in the track, and it is all thanks to their ARMY that they are able to achieve their dreams.

Final Thoughts

It is evident that BTS have an abundant love for each other and their fans in “Map of the Soul: 7.”

There are many other songs on the album, though, that share more intimate details apart from those expressed in the ones mentioned here. There are multiple raps and solo tracks that touch on the many subjects, from the dark sides of fame to reflections on their younger selves.

Whether you are ARMY or just curious, you will not regret listening to this album.

Simply no one else is doing what BTS are doing. They show that music is universal and can be appreciated by anyone despite language barriers.

I highly recommend experiencing the record in its entirety because these have just scratched the surface. It’s safe to say that “Map of the Soul: 7” is impeccable, and BTS have shown yet again that there is a reason that they are the most popular band in the world.