Tame Impala's "The Slow Rush" Cover

“The Slow Rush” is the fourth studio album from Tame Impala. Tame Impala is a solo project by Australian artist Kevin Parker. Parker has built himself a massive following for his music, through a groovy, yet cerebral, psychedelic pop sound. Parker has also collaborated with pop and hip-hop titans, such as Kanye West, Travis Scott, Lady Gaga A$AP Rocky and many others.

Expectations for Tame Impala have been high, ever since his 2015 album “Currents,” which received almost universal praise by all major music review sites. Tame Impala’s “The Slow Rush” comes after a five-year gap with highly praised singles “It Might Be Time” and “Posthumous Forgiveness” released months before the album’s release. “The Slow Rush” is 58 minutes long, with 12 songs.

There is a very short list of albums that I’ve immediately been drawn too and thought, ‘Wow, this album is going to influence countless artists for the future.’ “The Slow Rush” is one of them. Kevin Parker has truly opened a new chapter on his mesmerizing sound with “The Slow Rush.”

This record may not fulfill the wishes of all Tame Impala fans, but it is a psychedelic introspective that will immediately draw you in from start to finish. Tame Impala’s new album “The Slow Rush” is an intense and hypnotizing record, exploring the blessings and curses of time and its control of humanity.

I don’t quite know where to start on this record. From the reverb-infused layers to the clever falsetto lyrics or to the masterful production of “The Slow Rush,” this is unmistakably a Tame Impala album. While Parker maintains his signature sound, he experiments with a more theatrical tone, laced with incredible ballads. This new tone from Tame Impala feels much more honest and open than past records.

The primary motif of “The Slow Rush” is the unstoppable force that is time. From song names like “Lost in Yesterday” and “One More Hour,” Parker discusses the past, present and future, and all of the emotions that come with it. Parker delves into the natural cycle of time as well with lyrics like, “We’re on a roller coaster stuck on it’s loop-de-loop” and “In the air of today is tomorrow’s dust.” Even the album title, “The Slow Rush” indicates the relative effects of time on each and every one of us.

The production and instrumentation on this record is absolutely sublime. Parker’s synth usage is colorful and vast. The bass guitar riffs are tight, yet also provide a lush foundation for the other instruments. The guitar riffs are glitzy and catchy. The drums are flawless and much more pronounced in “The Slow Rush.” The drums resemble more of the psychedelic rock sound on “Innerspeaker” or “Lonerism” than Tame Impala’s last album “Currents.”

My favorite tracks on this album are “Posthumous Forgiveness,” “One More Hour,” and “Glimmer.” “Glimmer” is much less intense than other songs on the record and is the perfect complement to cooking, studying or any other relaxing activity that needs a serene tone. “Posthumous Forgiveness” is a wildly intricate song with a kaleidoscopic tone and a smooth transition to one of the catchiest parts in the whole album. “One More Hour,” the final song of the album, is the ideal climatic finish to “The Slow Rush,” with a hauntingly catchy transition blended within.

What did I like about this album? Honestly, I like just about everything on this record. “The Slow Rush” is a transcendent record that should be acknowledged as a top-shelf album. The drums were sharp. The lyrics were honest and cerebral. The production was incredible. Kevin Parker has done it again, this time with “The Slow Rush.”

Now for what I didn’t like. Although “The Slow Rush” had numerous peaks of creativity, there were still some parts that the past album “Currents” did better. I get it. It’s unfair to compare “The Slow Rush” to “Currents” as both of these albums are on different wavelengths of creativity. I just feel like “Currents” a little bit more to listeners than “The Slow Rush.”

I could see someone with no knowledge of Tame Impala loving “Currents” but not entirely understanding “The Slow Rush.” “The Slow Rush” has a bit of an acquired taste that some people may not enjoy at first. Regardless, “The Slow Rush” is still a fantastic release by Tame Impala.

“The Slow Rush” by Tame Impala is a psychedelic trip of an album, with enticing vocals, theatrical production and well-blended instrumentation. The theme of time and it’s vicious cycle is a feeling that we all know too well and resonates with anyone with nostalgia, past regrets or anxiety for the future. “The Slow Rush” is a cerebral psychedelic pop record that explores humanity's relationship with time, making this record almost instantly a timeless album for the future.

4.5/5 Stars