"Father of All..." by Green Day

Green Day released their 13th studio album titled “Father of All…” on Feb. 7 2020. Green Day formed in 1987 as a California punk band, and has remained a staple to the rock genre, with critically acclaimed albums such as “Dookie”, “Nimrod”, and “Warning”, all released between 1994-2000. Later on, Green Day reinvented their sound and appeal with their most commercially successful album “American Idiot” in 2004. Green Day’s newest release “Father of All…” is 26 minutes long, with 8 songs.

“Father of All…” is a massive experimental failure, riddled with rock cliches and unappealing lyrics. This record displays Green Day’s aging sound, and unveils an album that appears to have no direction, or redeeming qualities. While the production and instrumentation of the album is acceptable, the lyricism and overall quality that long time listeners come to expect with Green Day is long gone.

I’m just going to come out and say it. This is the worst album released in 2020 to date. From the underwhelming lyrics, to the boring song structure, to the hideous album cover art, this record feels like it was released by a 2000’s alt rock cover band rather than Green Day.

There’s no bite. There’s no theme. There really is no direction to this record, that gives listeners any idea of what Green Day was trying to go for here. This album is a confirmation that Green Day is no longer the same rebellious punk rock group that dominated the 1990’s and 2000’s.

To start, probably the lowest quality aspect of this record is the lyricism provided by frontman Billie Joe Armstrong. “Father of All…” is filled with lousy lyrics from start to finish. Lines such as “Daggers in my eyes and a rusty tamborine, Gimme my stiletto gonna do some surgery” and “Kool-Aid’s my motto, Oh Yeah!” display the cringe inducing lyrics that are reminiscent of the scribbles in an angsty middle schooler’s diary. Considering Armstrong’s lyrical past, with unapologetic and provocative lyrics discussing anything between hot button topics or politics, these lyrics feel like a parody.

While the guitar, bass, and drums in the album were solid, the lackluster mix was nothing to be proud of. Most of the songs on this album feel like they could be used as a theme song for a Nickelodeon show in 2006, and that is not a compliment. The song “Stab You in the Heart” uses a 50’s style chord structure that mixes with Green Day’s sound the same way that orange juice mixes with mayonnaise in a blender. Green Day’s use of alt-rock, pop-punk, and other rock subgenres leads to an unappealing sound with no clear goal.

There isn’t much to like on this record, but I did enjoy the guitar parts by Armstrong, and the drumming by band member Tre Cool. Songs like “Oh Yeah!” and “Meet Me on the Roof” show Green Day’s ability to produce decent pop songs, but is still guilty of a hollow tone, and low-quality lyrics.

There was a lot to not like about this album. The lyrics provided were cringe inducing and shallow. The album has no clear goal or theme to carry it through. Armstrong lacks anything to say about the current state of politics or controversial topics, which was a strong suit of his in the past. The cover art is an eyesore. Lastly, this record solidifies Green Day’s loss of reputation as the rebellious outcasts that brought timeless albums such as “Dookie” or “American Idiot”.

Overall, “Father of All...” is a disappointing failure for Green Day, and the long time fans that have been patiently waiting for new music. I won’t go as far to say that the same Green Day is dead, but they need to improve from this effort and get back to the drawing board before it’s too late.

1/5 Stars