Roller Coaster

Summer’s end is just around the corner, but there’s still time for summer fun, especially for the thrill-seekers and amusement-park-lovers in your life.

Dollywood, Sevierville

Just a short drive from Knoxville, Dollywood and Dollywood’s Splash Country can be found in Sevierville, just outside of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

For just $74, you can explore, play and watch everything Dollywood has to offer for the day, adding Dollywood’s Splash Country for the day for $10. For $20 more, you can get a 2-day admission pass to Dollywood, with an added $10 for Dollywood’s Splash Country.

Dollywood’s newest attraction, Wildwood Grove, opened earlier this year, featuring a charming village where “adventure takes root and dreams take flight.” Rides range from swings to thrill rides like the Dragonflier.

Tickets for Holiday World can be purchased here.

Estimated travel time from Knoxville: 43 minutes

Six Flags Over Georgia, Austell, Georgia

With locations across the country, Six Flags has been a popular amusement park for years. Visitors to Six Flags Over Georgia are definite thrill seekers, as the amusement park is known more for its thrills than chills (aka, not thrill rides).

The Pandemonium is the newest attraction at Six Flags Over Georgia, and it is the tallest swinging Pendulum in the Southeast. Along with the Pandemonium, other thrill rides include the Twisted Cyclone, Dare Devil Dive and Goliath.

As the summer winds down, Coca-Cola has teamed up with Six Flags Over Georgia to offer a 40% discount on all tickets for summer fun.

Tickets for Six Flags Over Georgia can be purchased here.

Estimated travel time from Knoxville: 3 hours 15 minutes

Kentucky Kingdom, Louisville, Kentucky

With one of the best out-of-state offers out there, Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay offers a two-day offer for both parks at a price of $39.95. The admission includes free drinks, tubes and sunscreen.

Offering thrill rides, “kiddy” rides and shows like a Sea Lion Splash, Kentucky Kingdom and Hurricane Bay offer something for every visitor. The park’s website offers a breakdown of the attractions.

Right now, the amusement park boasts its newest ride, Kentucky Flyer, which twists and turns for a “high” intensity experience based on their rating system.

Estimated travel time from Knoxville: 3 hours, 45 minutes

Holiday World- Santa Clause, Indiana

If you want the holiday season to come sooner than it is, head to Santa Clause, Indiana for a whirlwind tour of Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari for varying prices.

The park, which is split into several sections paying themed-tribute to Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween and 4th of July. Themed attractions range from thrill rides to “kiddy” rides to musical shows.

Along with providing thrills and other fun activities, Holiday World offers free parking, sunscreen and soft drinks during the day.

Estimated travel time from Knoxville: 5 hours