Lollapalooza

A view of Lollapalooza on Thursday, August 1. 

Lollapalooza day three was underway with another beautiful day in Grant Park, completely sold out single-day ticket sales, and some tightened security personnel after a mob of fans jumped the fences the day before. 

Fans lined up and down Michigan Ave to see artists such as Lil Wayne, RL Grime, Chelsea Cutler, 6lack, Lil Skies, Madeon, Twenty-One Pilots, and J Balvin. J Balvin made Lollapalooza history this year by becoming the first Latin American headliner to ever perform at Lollapalooza after 28 years. Originally born in Columbia, this Latin American artist received 8 billboard nominations this year including, top Latin album, top Latin artist, and top Latin song. He definitely earned this headlining spot. 

Starting off day three, the Magic City Hippies opened up the Titos Handmake Vodka Stage with some seriously vibey indie-funk music that serenaded the entire crowd.  

Following Magic City Hippies opening set, Fantastic Negrito took the stage to play a midday set in the hot sun, but “his set was even hotter,” said Matt White during the sunny set.

Midway during his set, Fantastic Negrito went on to say, “This next song I get a lot of hate mail for... artists, if you aren’t getting hate mail, you ain’t making art.” He went on to play his one of a kind song, “Transgender Biscuits,” a song that was made in an attempt to unify all people no matter race, gender, or religion. The song starts off with the lyrics, “All the people with love in your heart, get unified, get organized (change, change, change) Unity… Unity… He closed his set with the song, “Plastic Hamburgers,” a song that is, “talking about the current state of addiction and affliction in the world.” (Fantastic Negrito). This was a powerful set for everyone in the crowd.

Later that afternoon, Pink Sweat$ walked on to the American Eagle stage wearing an iconic pink sweat suit with a full band rocking out behind him. He performed a few of his hits for the crowd, some of those included, “Would You,” and “I want you.” He closed out his set by hopping behind the drum set and showing his fans his epic drum solo abilities with a giant smile on his face. 

6lack, actually pronounced “black,” is an alternative R/B singer from East Atlanta Zone 6, referring to the 6 in his name. This was a must see show for a ton of the fans I came in contact with this weekend. This artist has been on the rise and showed all out on the Bud Light stage Saturday afternoon in front of a completely packed crowd. After finishing his first song he yelled out to the crowd, “what do y’all wanna hear?” I heard several songs called but 6lack went on to perform the songs, “Switch,” off his latest album “East Atlanta Love Letter,” “Ex-Callin,” off his first album “FREE 6LACK,” and “Climax” a hit song he was featured in with Young Thug.

On the other side of Grant Park, the crowd was getting a little out of hand at Lil Skies show. Lil Skies had to stop the show several times to tell the fans in the front of the rail to “calm down” and “take two steps back,” threating that the show might get shut down. Skies fans are known to be die-hard fans so it was expected that things might get a little wild as the sun started to go down over the city of Chicago. 

Directly after Lil Skies show, the crowd flooded to the T-Mobile stage directly behind them where they awaited the arrival of Lil Wayne.  By the time he was about to take the stage, there was not a spot in sight where there wasn’t someone standing. Lil Wayne’s early set time was pack out as if it were the nights headlining set. There were obviously a lot of Tunchi fans in the crowd. Lil Wayne turned up the crowd with his own remix of Old Town Row that turned out to be one of the crowd’s favorites. He even showed his appreciation to Chance the Rapper and Chicago when he started to play the hit song, “No Problem.”

To close out day 3, RL Grime played a legendary set at Perry’s stage, full of vibrating bass and he mixed some of his top songs while showing love to other artist. In particular, the crowd went absolutely nuts when he made his own remix to Kid Cudi’s, “Day and Night.” 

Another headlining DJ had another awesome closing performance. Madeon. This was the start of a new wave of shows for Madeon, as he debuted his “Good Faith,” live set here at Lollapalooza. He performed some of his new singles such as, “Dream Dream Dream,” “All My Friends,” and “ID.” The crowd went wild when he played his song that he collaborated with the famous Porter Robinson earlier this year. With a duel DJ board setup, colorful visuals, and a killer set list, Madeon ended day three on a high note.