Student Health Center

The Student Health Center, 1800 Volunteer Blvd, has many resources for students on UT's campus including counseling, primary care services, a pharmacy and more.

You matter, and that is always the case no matter the time or place of where one is in life.

The nation will observe National Suicide Prevention Week from September 8 until Saturday September 14. If you or someone you know is struggling in any way, please take note of the following resources.

National Suicide Hotline (1-800-273-8255)

Tennessee Crisis Phone Line (855-274-7471)

UT Help Hotline (974-4357)

A human voice can make all the difference.

Prevention hotlines have been around since the mid-1950’s, and they’ve been a consistent source of aid for the struggling ever since. A 24-hour staff operates every hotline, and there will always be a real person there to talk, so there is no wrong time to call.

The national hotline is also accompanied by a more local Tennessee hotline. Knoxvillians around campus have access to the UT help hotline, which they can call either for themselves or those they’re concerned for.

East Tennessee Suicide Prevention Network

The East Tennessee Suicide Prevention Network is dedicated to eliminating suicide once and for all. The organization promotes regional activities and provides suicide prevention and crisis intervention training to community organizations.

If you’re interested in suicide outreach, the network meets every third Tuesday of the month at the Knox County Health Department Community Room.

Ambassadors for Mental Health Awareness & Suicide Prevention

UT students have access to the Ambassadors for Mental Health Awareness & Suicide Prevention.

Their purpose is to promote awareness of mental health and suicide prevention to college students. They also aim to eliminate stigma around both subjects by organizing events like the UT Mental Health Fair. For those interested in campus suicide prevention, the group meets biweekly throughout the school year.

Reach out

Just like a human voice can make all the difference, sometimes all someone needs is a human connection.

In the end, suicide prevention is not a one-time effort, it’s an issue that requires consistent, long-term work.

But the long-term effort is well worth it, because you are worth it. Counseling provides a welcoming environment where professionals can help struggling individuals cope with their anxieties and fears.

If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal tendencies, don’t hesitate to contact a professional therapist or mental health counsellor.

Students at the University of Tennessee can call 865-974-2196 to set up a free appointment with UT’s Counseling Center.

Reaching out doesn’t just mean counseling. Staying in contact with your friends and family, making new friends or simply striking up a few conversations can make the difference between life and death.

Though it is Suicide Prevention Week, mental wellness and suicide prevention are daily struggles that continue well past the weekend. Keep your resources in mind for the future, because that future is worth the effort.