Snuggled into an unassuming two-story house in South Knoxville, the Landing House serves quality Chinese, Cambodian and French inspired cuisine.

Landing House owners Zach and Hao Landing renovated the two-story house on Sevier Avenue in 2017 and converted it into a restaurant but kept the comfortable, home-like feel of the original space.

The restaurant has four areas for customers to eat, drink and hang out, including a main dining space with a wall covered with bookshelves housing board games and small books for visitors to read, complete with a classic fireplace; although, it’s not operable. The other dining areas, outside of the patio, are devoted to eating.

With dishes inspired by co-owner Hao’s family recipes, the menu has extensive variety with 11 appetizers like house-made pork rinds, yaum salad and even vegan and vegetarian-friendly options like vegan tofu skin dumplings. The entrees offer options for nearly everyone with fresh knife-shaved noodles, rice vermicelli salad, five types of Kuy Teav, Cambodian pho, and rice combinations.

Landing House02

One of the rice combos at The Landing House includes char sui pork, carrots, onion, omelet and siracha mayo.

Opting to try some of the more traditional entrees, I settled on chicken and shrimp pho and a rice combination of char sui pork, carrots, onion, omelet and sriracha mayo. The pho came in a large bowl with options like bean sprouts and cilantro served on the side. The sizing was just perfect enough to share with another person. The dish without any additives had a very fresh and spring-like taste, but the broth could have used more initial flavoring outside of the three sauces available.

The char sui pork, on the other hand, was made to perfection. The serving was big enough for at least two people to eat, and the flavors of each ingredient blended perfectly to make a tasty dish.

Landing House’s French inspiration really shines through when it comes to desert. The eatery offers four deserts: ginger almond cake with chocolate ganache, coconut tapioca with mixed berry purée, house-made cookies and five flavors of house-made ice cream.

Not only does the Landing House offer tasty twists on traditional Chinese and Cambodian dishes in a comfortable setting, they also offer each dish at a reasonable pricing. While there are about six dishes that cost about $20, many of the entrées average around $10 and appetizers cost between $3-$8.

Whether new visitors are looking to try some Asian dishes with friends or want to enjoy some light reading over a hot bowl of pho, customers need not worry about breaking the bank. The homey atmosphere also translates to their servers, who aren’t too keen on hovering but welcome you with a smile and, if it's not too busy, will even casually chat with you.

Landing House, open Wednesday through Monday, is located at 1147 Sevier Ave. Visit their Facebook page @landinghouseknox for updates on menus, special events and operating hours.