Alcoholic drink

It’s no secret that Halloween is one of college students’ favorite holidays: costumes, the 31st often coinciding with UT Homecoming and yummy, themed cocktails to serve at festive parties.

For those brave enough to host college students for a Halloween party, here are three tried and true recipes tasty enough to keep of-age guests coming back for more!

Maliboo Cocktail

1 part Malibu rum

2 parts lemonade

Splash of grenadine over the ice

This drink is manageable to make, considering the predictability of someone in your web of friends having a bottle of Malibu and the ease of buying lemonade. Grenadine adds sweetness to the drink with additional pomegranate flavoring to create a more complex flavor.

The traditional summertime flavors of a Maliboo Cocktail can be ideal for east Tennessee, where temperatures in the 70s are not out of the question for a party at the end of October.

Caramel Old Fashioned

1 tsp. brown sugar

1 ½ oz. bourbon

Ice

¾ oz. apple brandy

3 dashes angostura bitters

Garnish with apple wedge and drizzled caramel

A spooky twist to the classic tried and true. Dissolve the brown sugar in the bourbon, and then add the rest of the ingredients before garnishing with apple and caramel.

This drink can appeal to a wider variety of people: those who like more traditional drinks and also those who might like to add a little sweetness.

Ghoulish Gin-ger Ale

Ice

4 oz. ginger ale

2 oz. gin

2-3 dashes cranberry bitters

1 oz. grenadine

This recipe takes the simplicity of ginger ale to the next level. In addition to the clever play on word-use of gin and gin-ger ale, the flavors go surprisingly well together. Cranberry and grenadine also contribute fruity anecdotes.

Like the Maliboo Cocktail, ingredients for this ghoulish drink can be found in most kitchens.