Pumpkin pie

In the spirit of the spooky season, many will be celebrating Halloween with festive parties and get-togethers with snacks aplenty. Nothing is scarier than showing up to a party and forgetting to bring something, so if you’re looking for a creative last-minute idea for your contribution to the food table, here are four spooky treats to make this Halloween.

Stuffed Jack-O-Lantern Bell Peppers

Prep time: 1 hour 25 minutes

Ingredients

6 bell peppers, any color

1 pound ground beef

1 egg

4 slices whole wheat bread, cubed

1 small onion, chopped

1 small tomato, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chili sauce

1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Jack-O-Lanterns may be a little hard to make if you’re short on time, but these Jack-O-Lantern bell peppers are ridiculously cute and will surely do the trick.

Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.

Lightly mix together the ground beef, egg, bread cubes, onion, tomato, garlic, chili sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl.

Wash the peppers, and cut jack-o'-lantern faces into the peppers with a sharp paring knife to make triangle eyes, noses and pointy-teeth smiles. Slice off the tops of the peppers, and scoop out the seeds and cores. Stuff the peppers lightly with the beef stuffing, and place them into the prepared baking dish so they lean against each other.

Bake in preheated oven until the peppers are tender and the stuffing is cooked through and juicy, approximately one hour.

Monster Bites

Prep time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

4 apples, cored and cut into eight wedges

1 cup peanut butter

½ cup candy corn, or as needed

These monster bites are a simple treat to make, taking only under 20 minutes to craft.

Start off by slicing each wedge of apple in half the long way, making two smaller wedges. Spread about 3/4 teaspoon of peanut butter on one cut side of a small wedge, and place five or six pieces of candy corn sticking out of the peanut butter for teeth.

Spread 3/4 teaspoon of peanut butter onto the cut side of second small wedge. Lightly press second wedge to the tops of the candy corn teeth, with the peanut butter to the inside, to form lips.

Repeat with remaining apples, peanut butter and candy corn.

Dragon Eggs

Prep time: 2 hours 45 minutes

6 eggs

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons molasses

2 teaspoons salt

8 tea bags

Filling:

1/3 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper

salt and ground black pepper to taste

1 cup salsa

Dragon eggs are a perfect spooky treat that will have guests double-taking at the sight of their appearance.

Start off by placing eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain hot water and fill saucepan with cold water; allow eggs to sit until cooled, 15 to 20 minutes, and then drain the water. Gently tap or roll eggs on the counter so the shell is cracked but still intact.

Return the eggs to saucepan and pour in enough water to cover eggs; add soy sauce, molasses, salt and tea bags. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until eggs have absorbed color, about 30 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and leave eggs in water to cool to room temperature.

Peel eggs and trim bottom of each egg so it will stand upright. Cut each egg lengthwise and scoop yolks into a bowl. Mix mayonnaise, red bell pepper, salt and pepper into egg yolks until evenly combined.

Spoon yolk mixture back into egg whites; smooth filling to be level with egg white. Put each egg back together.

Pour salsa onto a plate and assemble eggs upright into the salsa.

The Perfect Pumpkin Pie

Prep time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Ingredients

1 15 oz. can pumpkin

1 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 9-inch unbaked pie crust

For this perfect pumpkin pie, you will want to start off by preheating the oven to 425 degrees. Whisk the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth, and pour into crust.

Bake the mixture for 15 minutes.

After that, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted one inch from crust comes out clean. Cool and then garnish as desired.