Fashion Flashback

Justin Timberlake was right when he said “What goes around comes back around” -- especially when it comes to fashion.

Trends come and go, but this year, we’ve seen the return of several retro fads in mainstream fashion. These looks may not be around for long but there’s no doubt that we’ll make the most of them until they fade out again.

Fanny packs

Love them or hate them, they’re back. Fanny packs were a trend back in the 80s and 90s. Despite their practical use, the bags phased out by the 2000s. But, thanks to high-end designers, fanny packs have now been remarketed as “waist bags” and are back by popular demand. From the runway to Ped Walkway, fanny packs have made a comeback in a big way. Popular brands like Supreme, Adidas, Champion and even Louis Vuitton have released their own versions of the so-called “waist bags.” No matter what you call it, the fanny pack is a sure way to gain some street cred.

Giant hoops

No, you’re not experiencing deja vu. These outrageous accessories nearly tore every ear back in the 90s. No matter if your style is minimalistic or bedazzled, hoops achieve the same effect by making a statement when paired with any outfit. Ever since celebrities including Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner have been photographed wearing hoops, they’ve become favorite game day outfit accessories. If you’re thinking about trying out this trend though, beware of getting your huge hoops caught on practically everything.

Chunky sneakers

We’re taking notes from the 90s, and so are big brands like Yeezy and Balenciaga. After redesign, these bulky “dad shoes” have become the coolest trend in athleisure of this year. From “it” girls to hypebeasts, chunky sneakers have been seen everywhere on everyone. If you’re not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on the real thing, Nike, New Balance and Skechers have college budget-friendly choices that are still on trend.

Denim

Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears might as well be fashion fortune tellers. Their iconic head-to-toe denim look at the 2001 American Music Awards inspired the return of denim on denim. However, Justin and Britney can’t take all the credit for bringing back denim. The recent revival of denim styles like flared jeans and oversized jackets has increased the material’s popularity. Now, double denim can be seen just about anywhere from cropped jeans to cropped tops; the more the merrier!

Scrunchies

The most glorified hair band of the 80s and 90s is back. This simple, soft hair accessory is great to cover up a less-than-perfect ponytail and adds just the right amount of volume. Or just wear it around your wrist as a bracelet like every other girl at UT.