Yu-gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution

“Yu-Gi-Oh!”, the immensely popular trading card game, came to the Switch this past week with an updated version of the 2015 game “Legacy of the Duelist.”

“Link Evolution” not only gives duelists the option to play the game on the go, but it also adds a brand-new game mechanic: Link summoning.

In fact, the new game is the complete “Legacy of the Duelist” package; it comes with around 1500 brand new cards, allows players to take on the role of villains and adds all of the previously released DLC for “Legacy of the Duelist”.

Fans of the “Yu-Gi-Oh!” anime will probably get the most enjoyment out of this game. One of the biggest selling points of “Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution” is the ability to play through almost all the major duels featured in the anime series. There are hundreds of duels to play between the six different anime series alone, not even counting those present in challenge mode.

Each story mode duel allows players to use a premade deck based on the character from the anime or their own custom-built deck. This adds another layer of “replay-ability,” as duels can be drastically different depending on what kind of cards you use.

Another major selling point for the game is the ability to go online and duel other players from across the world. I’m happy to report that the online mode works well. I never ran into any lag or latency and duels were able to be carried out smoothly.

As a former Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game player myself, the thing that got me most excited about “Link Evolution” was the sheer number of cards that I was able to use in the game.

Around 9000 cards are featured in “Link Evolution,” and speaking from experience, it is much cheaper to buy this game to use some of them rather than spend hundreds on real life decks. If one can unlock the cards they want, there’s nothing stopping them from building their dream deck in-game.

The only thing stopping me from giving “Link Evolution” a 100 percent review are a few bugs I encountered while playing in the story mode.

Multiple times, seemingly at random, the game’s frame rate would drop to almost zero as the computer enemies I was dueling struggled to play their cards. While this only happened a few times, it was incredibly annoying and heavily affected the momentum of the game.

Overall, this game is the perfect package for anyone interested in the Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card game. Thanks to in-game tutorials, those who haven’t played in years can easily grasp new mechanics and current fans will be able to jump right into the action.

At only $40 brand new, the number of duels and cards in this game is truly staggering.

Aside from a few bugs, “Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution” is a near-perfect Yu-Gi-Oh! experience. Anyone who has been itching to duel but doesn’t want to drop tons of money on the physical card game will find just what they’re looking for in this game.

8.5/10

Review Code provided by Konami. Game reviewed on a Nintendo Switch.