Bijou

The Bijou is a popular performance venue in downtown Knoxville off of Gay Street. 

‘Ripe’ National Tour

Ripe, a band based in Boston, will be bringing their jazz/funk/soul musical style to the Bijou Theatre on Tuesday, Jan. 28 at 8 p.m. as one stop on their national tour. This seven-piece ensemble has been together since the early 2010s and is expected to give a dynamic performance.

‘Miss Saigon’ Musical

Written by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boubil, the musical “Miss Saigon” will be performed all week at the Tennessee Theatre. Based on the opera “Madame Butterfly” by Giacomo Puccini, “Miss Saigon” relates the tale of a romance between a young bargirl from South Vietnam and a US Marine in Saigon during the Vietnam War. Tickets can be purchased online or in person at the box office.

‘Lady First: The World of First Lady Sarah Polk’ Book Release

On Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 6:30 p.m., the paperback release of Amy Greenberg’s biographical book, “Lady First: The World of First Lady Sarah Polk,” will be held at Knoxville’s East Tennessee Historical Center on Gay Street. Greenberg is a historian of pre-Civil War America, with a focus on shifting gender roles such as the political influence of women during the 19th century.

‘Space Jesus’ in concert with ‘Tsuruda,’ ‘Tiedye Ky’ and ‘Onhell’

Performing at the Mill and Mine this Wednesday, at 8 p.m., is musical artist “Space Jesus” on his “Moon Landing Tour,” along with “Tsuruda,” “Tiedye Ky” and “Onhell.” According to his website, you can expect “alien basslines, gangster beats, and future feels” from his music.

‘Spafford’ in Concert with ‘CBDB’

Jam band “Spafford” will be in concert with progressive rock band “CBDB” Jan. 30 at 8 p.m. at the Bijou Theatre. These two bands are self-released and independent labels respectively, so it will be a great chance to go out and support some smaller, innovative groups.

Food & Drinks & Ghosts: Finn’s Irish Restaurant and Tavern

Do you like food, drinks and/or ghosts? If so, then maybe you should drop by Finn’s Irish Restaurant and Tavern this Thursday at 10 p.m. The tavern will be teaming up with local mediums of the paranormal to give a late-night dining experience and tours of the Baker Peter’s House, a supposedly haunted Antebellum residence. Tickets are purchasable for $100 per person and include a full three course meal and a haunted tour.

‘Flying Buffaloes’ Live

Playing at Barley’s Taproom on Jan. 31 at 10 p.m. is the “Flying Buffaloes.” At this event, patrons will be able to enjoy pool tables, along with pizza and craft brews as they listen to this alt-country, rock influenced five-piece band.

‘The Devil Makes Three’ in Concert with Matt Heckler

On Friday at 8:30 p.m., the Mill and Mine will be hosting “The Devil Makes Three,” an Americana band that’s been active since 2002. Along with them will be musician Matt Heckler, a fiddle player who calls the Appalachians of North Carolina his home. You can expect a rustic style of music that blends genres like bluegrass, country and folk.

Waynestock X

The 10th Waynestock music festival will be held at the Relix Variety Theatre from Friday, Jan. 31 to Saturday, Feb. 1. This is a yearly concert event that memorializes the tragic death of Andrew Bledsoe, the son of Wayne Bledsoe, who was a music scribe for the Knoxville News Sentinel since the 1980s. The festival has a decade long tradition of bringing the Knoxville music scene together in support of the Bledsoe family as both a tribute to Andrew and as a thank you to Wayne who made Knoxville’s music culture what it is today.

‘Yonder Mountain String Band’ in Concert with ‘The Travelin’ McCourys’

“Yonder Mountain String Brand” will be playing at the Mill and Mine along with “The Travelin’ McCourys.” This Saturday, Feb. 1 at 8 p.m. Both these groups play bluegrass, with the latter being a native Tennessee band from Nashville.

Comedian Nate Bargatze: Good Problems to Have Tour

Performing at 7 p.m. at the Knoxville Civic Auditorium and Coliseum this Saturday, is comedian Nate Bargatze. This stand-up comic from Old Hickory, Tennessee has appeared on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” and “Conan” and will be releasing a one-hour Netflix special on March 26. He’s been selling out venues all across the country, so this is a show comedy fans won’t want to miss.