Journey to the Savage Planet

Let’s face it, earth is boring, and it’s also dying if reports about climate change are to be believed. Luckily for us, Typhoon Studios’ new game “Journey to the Savage Planet” lets players escape to a new world: AR-Y 29.

In “Journey to the Savage Planet,” players take control of an astronaut sent to AR-Y 29 by Kindred Aerospace, humanities 4th best interstellar exploration company. While initially there to see if it would be fit for human life, the astronaut soon discovers that there may be more than simple animals on the planet.

Don’t be fooled by the game’s serious sounding premise; this is one of the goofiest games I’ve played in a long time. The game constantly had me laughing at its witty dialogue and live action cutscenes. In fact, one of the best parts of “Journey to the Savage Planet” is its writing.

If you’ve played a first-person exploration game before then you know exactly what to expect with this game. “Journey to the Savage Planet” doesn’t recreate the wheel, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad. I had a ton of fun; sometimes a simple, short game is what you need.

What makes the game stand out from others, however, is the “savage planet” itself. AR-Y 29 is full of beautiful landscapes and quirky creatures. Each area brought with it something new and interesting, so I never got tired of exploring.

The further you progress in “Journey to the Savage Planet,” the more tools and upgrades you get for your astronaut suit. These upgrades range from a grappling hook to a wieldable bomb fruit. These upgrades slowly change the way you play and open up tons of secrets and collectables if you choose to search for them.

While the game is by no means impressive graphically, it still looks good. The game goes for a more cartoony art style that works especially well on its creatures, with a few of them (such as the Puffer birds) being some of the most adorable creatures I’ve ever seen in video games. However, upon closer examination, some textures covering the environment can look muddy, which is disappointing.

This is where my praise for “Journey to the Savage Planet” stops. The combat game featured is incredibly simple, and while it does what it needs to do, it would’ve been nice to have something more than a simple pistol to fight off the hoards of angry creatures the game throws your way.

While story is certainly not the game’s focus, I was still disappointed by the way it wrapped up. Throughout most of the game, signs of intelligent life dot the planet. While one would expect a satisfying answer as to what these life forms are, you don’t get one. The game ends with a whimper instead of a bang which was a blemish on the rest of a mostly enjoyable experience.

A little more time in development would have done the game a lot of good. Some more polish on the combat, graphics and story could have made “Journey to the Savage Planet” a great game rather than just a good one.

As it stands now, however, “Journey to the Savage Planet” is an enjoyable sci-fi FPS exploration game that doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Review code provided by 505 Games. Game reviewed on an Xbox One S.

7/10