Ford v. Ferrari

“We’re lighter, we’re faster, and if that don’t work, we’re nastier.”

Based on real events, “Ford v Ferrari” tells the story of the year that Ford Motor Company went to war with Ferrari S.p.A. The film takes the classic tale of America vs. Europe and puts a racing spin on it.

“Ford v Ferrari” caught my attention the second it was announced as it was directed by James Mangold, the director of 2017’s “Logan.” When I saw Matt Damon and Christian Bale were attached to the project, my hopes got even higher.

While I admittedly don’t know anything about cars or racing, the concept of these two huge companies competing to make the fastest car in the world sounded like an incredibly interesting idea. Although, whether or not the film could hold my attention was unclear.

In the mid-1960’s, Ford Motor Company offers to buy Ferrari S.p.A in order to gain a sports car division. When their offer is rejected at the last second, Henry Ford II orders the company’s racing division to build a car that can beat Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France. Lee Iacocca, vice president of Ford, hires Carroll Shelby, a former racer and automobile manufacturer, to make the car, and Ken Miles to drive it.

“Ford v Ferrari” is incredibly well made. The film cost around $100 million to make and every one of those dollars was put to good use. The film’s cinematography is a particular highlight, with many scenes looking stunningly beautiful.

Each racing scene is particularly well done. The film does a great job of making viewers feel as if they are in each of the races with the drivers, leading to some truly stressful scenes that had me on the edge of my seat.

“Ford v Ferrari” is full of outstanding performances. Matt Damon and Christian Bale are both amazing in the film, with Bale stealing the show as Ken Miles. The two are backed up by an amazing ensemble, with Jon Bernthal and Caitriona Balfe both giving memorable performances.

My biggest issue with “Ford v Ferrari” was the fact that it simply couldn’t hold my attention. The film is almost two and a half hours long and I felt every second of that runtime. Aside from the racing scenes, I found myself increasingly bored by the film, wondering when it would finally end.

The film also ended on an incredibly strange note. While I acknowledge the fact that it was based on true events and had to follow them, it still felt as if they should’ve cut the last ten or so minutes out of the film.

Overall, “Ford v Ferrari” was an incredibly well-made film with a great cast that overstays its welcome. While I probably would have enjoyed the film more if I was more into cars or racing, I feel like it could’ve done a better job keeping me invested in the main story. “Ford v Ferrari” is probably the perfect film for fans of racing, but those of us who aren’t into the sport might find the film just a little boring.

3/5 Stars