Mandalorian

After an incredible amount of anticipation from fans, the first episode of the first ever live action “Star Wars” series is here. “The Mandalorian” promised fans a look into the “Star Wars” universe that they’ve never seen before, with a focus on bounty hunting and, of course, the Mandalorian.

The first episode of the series had a lot riding on its shoulders. Not only is it our first live action look at “Star Wars” outside of the Skywalker story, it also is the first big original episode from Disney+ that many will see. After struggling for hours to get the episode to stop buffering, I finally made my way through the episode. Did it deliver on the hype of fans or was it a disappointment?

The first episode of the series followed our nameless protagonist, known only as “The Mandalorian,” as he learned of a new bounty that might lead to a big score. Without getting into spoilers, that’s about all I can say about the plot. Luckily for me, not much else happened in the episode.

Surprisingly, I found myself really bored for most of the episode. For the first two thirds of the episode, it felt like absolutely nothing happened. What did happen was meddling and just not very good. Although it was well shot, I just couldn’t get invested in the episode until it was almost over.

I simply can’t believe they decided to go with the opening scene. Pretty much all of the acting for the first ten minutes or so of the episode is terrible. Whoever they got for the blue guy that gets kidnapped by the Mandalorian, forgive that I don’t remember his name, was awful. He felt completely out of place, like a character from one of the bad episodes of “Star Trek” made his way onto the wrong set.

Luckily, things began to pick up after the opening, with a lot of mystery surrounding who the Mandalorian is and what the bounty he takes is. If we weren’t getting at least seven more episodes, I would say that these scenes weren’t great as I had no idea what the heck was going on in them. Thankfully, however, everything will surely get explained with time.

The last part of the episode is where things really picked up and I finally was able to fully enjoy the experience. The final action scene was fantastic, with some really great dialogue between the Mandalorian and IG-11, played wonderfully by Taika Waititi.

The episode wraps up with an incredible cliff hanger and left me wanting more, which was a relief, as I really didn’t care for the rest of the episode. While the episode had a high production value, the bad acting and lack of direction that filled most of its runtime made me question why I was watching.

Although I wasn’t that impressed by the first episode of “The Mandalorian,” I have high hopes for the rest of the series. Pilot episodes have a tendency to be messy as they try to set up an entire series’ world and characters. This was the case with “The Mandalorian,” though due to the episode’s strong ending, I have faith things will be much better.