Avengers: Endgame

Avengers: Endgame will open in theaters Thursday, April 25, 2019.

“Whatever it takes.”

When “Iron Man” was released in 2008, no one expected it to spawn the biggest film franchise of all time. Now, 11 years and 21 films later, “Avengers: Endgame” has arrived to bring an end to the saga of the Infinity Stones.

Thankfully, after all those years of waiting, “Avengers: Endgame” will not be letting anyone down.

This review may appear incredibly vague, as I’m going to keep things as spoiler free as possible. Bear with me.

After the events of “Avengers: Infinity War”, half of the entire universe’s population has been wiped out. The remaining Avengers must cope with their loss and try to find a way to make things right.

Without a doubt the best part of the film is its cast. An ensemble this amazing may never appear in film again. Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans steal the show as Iron Man and Captain America. The two share some emotional and hilarious scenes. I could honestly watch the two of them as these characters in an infinite number of films.

Jeremy Renner and Scarlett Johansen also give standout performances as Hawkeye and Black Widow. The two characters share quite the past together, and watching how the fallout from “Infinity War” affected them is truly brilliant.

I could go on and praise the rest of the cast individually, but I’ll keep it short: almost everyone in this film is fantastic.

The only performance that was notably not good was Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. While many complained that she gave a dry, emotionless performance in “Captain Marvel”, I didn’t really see that until “Endgame”. She brings down every scene that she is a part of. The film would’ve been better without her in it, but thankfully, she is barely in the film.

“Avengers: Endgame” is a little over three hours long, and I felt every moment of that time. The first two acts feel as if they drag slightly, but by the time you feel the full effects of the film’s length, the third act hits and you’ll almost forget how slow the rest of the film is.

If you consider yourself even a casual fan of the Marvel films, be prepared to cry. “Avengers: Endgame” is full of emotional scenes which all effectively hit you in the gut and make you want to bawl your eyes out.

If you are more of an action fan, however, the third act completely delivers on this front. The film’s final fight was done so well, in fact, that it had me crying tears of joy.

However, there are a few scenes where it is clear that the film is trying to make a political statement and they just don’t work at all. They weren’t terrible, but they were bad enough to take me out of the movie.

Overall, “Avengers: Endgame”, while not perfect, is a great ride and a fantastic wrap-up to a storyline that fans have been following for over a decade now. If you even have a slight temptation to see this movie, see it; you won’t be disappointed.

4/5 Stars