Gamma Sigma Sigma was founded in October of 1952 as a national service sorority for women across the United States. UT’s chapter, Gamma Kappa, is celebrating its 50th anniversary on campus this year.

Its colors, maroon and white, symbolize service, friendship and equality. It is clear that Gamma Kappa is upholding its organizations motto of “unity in service.”

The Emerald Youth Foundation is Gamma Kappa’s charity of choice. The Emerald Youth Foundation is a Christian organization that focuses on providing Knoxville’s youth with the skills needed to become leaders in their communities.

Alongside the Emerald Youth Foundation, Gamma Kappa also participates in service events for numerous organizations around Knoxville. From raising funds for cancer research at Relay for Life to helping out at the local Ronald McDonald House, there is a service opportunity for every individual that joins Gamma Sigma Sigma at UT.

One of Gamma Kappa’s many accomplishments includes winning top small group fundraiser at Relay for Life for the second year in a row. Gamma Kappa is also proud to announce that its members averaged 33 hours of service last semester.

With an abundance of Greek organizations on campus, it may be difficult for one to decide where they fit best. President of Gamma Kappa Claire Heatherly tells why she believes Gamma Sigma Sigma was the best choice for her.

The idea of joining a group that was more than just a ‘stereotypical sorority’ was appealing to me. I was excited to pursue membership in a group that emphasized service, sisterhood and equality,” Heatherly said.

All who meet Gamma Sigma Sigma’s requirements and are willing to rush will be accepted into the organization as a means to ensure equality and inclusion in their chapter.

Membership Vice President Laken Dye joined Gamma Sigma Sigma in her second year at UT. Dye felt like she had not found her place during her freshman year, but becoming a member changed everything for her.

“Gamma Sig gave me a home, a family and also allowed me to make an impact larger than myself. My personal favorite memory from GSS is last semester when I got my wonderful little through our Game Plan big-little reveal. She is one of my best friends,” Dye said.

Gamma Sigma Sigma not only cultivates a community of service, but also friendship. Gamma Sig puts on numerous events throughout the year that will allow members to bond together.

Sisterhood events include monthly potluck dinners at a sister’s home, bowling, events with alumni and a formal dance at the end of each semester. Gamma Sig also partakes in sisterhood retreats to exciting locations, such as Pigeon Forge.

“Gamma Sigma Sigma is different from other service organizations because we are also a sisterhood. We bond and build our relationships through serving and bettering our community. All of our members are also extremely passionate about community service,” Dye said.

Although spring rush for GSS has passed, those who are interested in joining can follow GSS on Instagram for information about upcoming events and fall rush for the 2020-2021 school year.