Volunteers

From California to Washington D.C., UT students and alumni will be showcasing the Volunteer creed by dedicating their Saturday to helping communities across the nation.

The annual Volunteering with the Vols day of service, occurring under the motto “One Day. One Family. All Vols.” on June 29, is a day for UT alumni, students and their families to show various communities what being a Tennessee Volunteer means.

Organizations benefited included the Memphis Zoo, the Jacobs and Cushman Food Bank in San Diego and Habitat for Humanity in South Carolina, according to UT News.

“The level of enthusiasm for this event has been inspiring,” Director of Alumni Student Recruitment and Scholarships Taylor Thomas told UT News. “When Vols move away from home, they take the Volunteer spirit with them and continue to do good wherever they are. Each time I reach out to an alumni chapter, they’re looking for ways to contribute.”

Volunteering is set exceed last year’s record setting numbers, with 2018 seeing 180 volunteers complete over 500 service hours in 16 locations.

“This event continues to grow and benefit communities around the nation and sometimes even around the world,” Thomas told UT News.

Vice President of LS3P Architects in Columbia, South Carolina and 1989 alumnus Allen Taylor told UT News that the event captures what is best of the Volunteer spirit. Taylor’s alumni chapter will help the Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens on Saturday.

“It’s exciting to know our efforts will be matched by chapters throughout the country,” Taylor said. “Wherever there is need, Tennessee Vols rise to the occasion and meet the challenge.”

Some other volunteering opportunities across the country include delivering meals for Meals on Wheels in Atlanta, cleaning McWane Science Center exhibits in Birmingham, serving meals at St. Paul’s Community Meals in Chicago, serving Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Houston and visiting residents of the Estero LifeCare Center.

Anyone interested in how to volunteer can find information on the Volunteering with the Vols website