Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

UT will soon receive a super computer for the Tickle College of Engineering and the computer will be a part of the Min H. Kao Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

UT recently joined in an agreement with computer hardware company IBM to receive a supercomputer for the Tickle College of Engineering. The computer will be part of the Min H. Kao Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and will be comprised of hardware based on the Summit supercomputer, located at Oak Ridge National Laboratory just half an hour from campus.

Summit is the most powerful supercomputer in the world. UT’s computer will be a scaled-down version of the Oak Ridge system; Summit occupies an entire warehouse-sized space, but UT’s supercomputer will be created to fit into the Claxton Complex, the home of the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences.

The cutting-edge technology will foster education and learning in the computer science and technology field, an area of study that is constantly growing and increasingly more relevant to many aspects of the modern world. IBM, a longtime supporter of academic endeavors, was happy to aid UT in furthering its students’ education. UT has also worked with IBM in the past; in 2016, IBM created the Advanced Analytics Lab at UT, which grants engineering and business students better access to data and research.

The partnership will benefit both parties; UT will house some of the most powerful technology in the world, and IBM will be able to conduct an extensive amount of research and receive feedback regarding their product.