In the 2019-2020 competition, 16 UT students were recipients at the prestigious Fulbright U.S. Student Awards. As a result, UT has been ranked as the public research university that produces the seventh-most Fulbright students. Among SEC schools, UT is the top producer of Fulbright students.

This year’s 16 UT Fulbright students were selected from a pool of 68 candidates, ultimately resulting in 41 semi-finalists, 16 students joining the Fulbright Program and one student declining the Fulbright award.

The Fulbright Program is the U.S. government’s flagship international educational exchange program, and the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs announces annually the universities with the greatest number of students selected for the elite program.

The program was created in 1946, and since then Fulbright has granted more than 390,000 U.S. academics the chance to increase their education internationally. Annually, more than 2,200 students and 900 university faculty and staff are selected from across the country to participate in the program.

Fulbright is also utilized by more than 160 other countries across the globe. Around 4,000 international exchange students travel to the U.S. through the Fulbright Program each year.

As for next year’s competition, UT selected 67 students as Fulbright candidates, and 44 of them were selected as semi-finalists. This is a record number of semi-finalists to be selected from UT.

Official winners will be selected by the end of May 2020.