Program allows students to represent UT

UT Ambassadors provide campus tours and give students perspective on campus life.

Any student at UT has likely seen those individuals in orange polos and khakis leading tours around campus. They’re always showing off the important sites around campus and giving prospective students and parents the information they need to decide on whether or not they’d like to make Rocky Top their home.

These individuals are known as the UT Ambassadors, and the group is currently accepting applications for new members.

However, they are more than just tour guides. What do they really do here, and how can someone become an Ambassador?

According to the official UT website, UT Ambassadors are very important students here at the University of Tennessee. They are the ones who often play a huge part in recruiting new students to attend the school that we all know and love.

For any current student at UT, it is likely that they toured the school at least once before deciding on attending. While there are a ton of factors going into why someone would choose a university, the tour guides showing these students and their parents around have a big influence.

Grace Bosworth, a UT Ambassador studying communications, shared her enthusiasm for the position, along with some requirements for any current student interested in becoming one of these important people.

As with any leadership position, UT Ambassadors must prioritize their studies while taking on this role. Of course, they should also have a love for the university and a passion to share it, according to Bosworth. Students are required to have at least a 2.75 GPA to apply for the position.

“My experience through the program has been incredible,” Bosworth said. “I have gotten to connect with prospective families on personal levels through giving tours, perfected my public speaking abilities and found a community here on campus that is simply incomparable.”

Bosworth’s love for the position is palpable, and it is obvious that it is much more than just being a tour guide. Students can enhance their communication skills and find a group of people that will make the large campus feel a little bit smaller.

Bosworth added a final comment sharing her love for the UT Ambassador position.

“I have loved my time as an Ambassador here on campus and would not trade this job for the world!” Bosworth said.

Meanwhile, UT Ambassador president, Audrey Davis, a senior in political science and child and family studies, shared some behind-the-scenes information about being an Ambassador and conveyed her love for the position.

According to Davis, the UT Ambassadors are incredibly diverse in their academic pursuits. They range from sophomores — as students may only apply starting in the spring of their freshman year — to seniors and are in all majors.

“It’s a melting pot of a lot of different-minded, smart and welcoming people,” Davis said.

Also, while it is a student organization, these individuals are actually paid for what they do, which is always a plus for college students.

To make sure that the Ambassadors are always kept up-to-date with campus information and to ensure that they are being the best they can be, Davis adds that they are evaluated each semester, which means the prospective families are interacting with some of the finest UT has to offer.

Not only do these leaders offer campus info to the prospective families, but they also are responsible for sharing humorous comments and anecdotes with their tour groups, creating an individualized experience for prospective students.

Davis shared the same sentiment as Bosworth that UT Ambassadors is not only an organization, but it is also a family.

“We pride ourselves on how close each and every one of us feels in this position; we are truly lucky,” Davis said.

Davis further added that she has been an Ambassador for over three years, working her way up to the presidential spot. She gained some of the same skills that Bosworth mentioned as well, such as public speaking and leadership, which goes to show that this role really gives students potential to grow.

“The trajectory of growth one can have in this program is nearly unparalleled,” Davis said.

It is apparent that these students are very passionate about the leadership roles they hold here at the University of Tennessee, and it can give them new abilities that they perhaps never expected and a community to bond with.

If being an Ambassador sounds like something that would be perfect for you, applications are ongoing until Friday, Feb. 14 at midnight. You can find the application online.