Ped Walkway 2019

Pedestrian Walkway buzzes with life as UT students trek along the well-worn walkway between classes, dorms and other locations on campus. 

Spring Semester has arrived, and students are getting back into the rhythm of their routines. Though a new semester brings new classes, it also brings new ways to spend free time. Here are a few events to keep in mind while planning out your semester.

Live theatre – various

UT’s own Clarence Brown Theatre will host four live productions throughout the semester.

The spring season starts with Noël Coward’s “Blithe Spirit“. The story follows novelist Charles Condomine and his wife Ruth as haunting hijinks interrupt their marriage in the wake of a séance. The show will run from Feb. 5 to Feb. 23.

Chilling drama will follow frightening farce with William Shakespeare’s “Hamlet”. The timeless tale of scheming, betrayal ambition will run from Feb. 26 to March 15.

“Airness”follows the story of a girl named Nina as she jumps head-first into the prestigious National Air Guitar Competition. It’ll run from March 27 to April 5 in Clarence Brown’s Lab Theatre.

Clarence Brown’s spring season ends with “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder“ from April 22 to May 10. In this musical comedy, Monty Navarro will scheme, kill and schmooze his way to the top after learning he’s the heir of vast, familial wealth.

Lecture series and academics – various

Students learn a lot in classes. However, there will always be more to learn. UT can help you do just that through extracurricular lectures and academic conferences.

The Philosophy Department will host a Philosophy Colloquium on January 24 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. The seminar and conference will take place in McClung Tower. Kentucky University professor Julia Bursten will lead the event.

The Humanities Center will continue its eighth annual Distinguished Lecture Series on January 28 with a presentation on liberalism by William Egginton. The lecture will last from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. and the series will last throughout the semester.

Dean of Students Shea Kidd Houze will facilitate a conversation around the idea of beauty during the Rocky Topics event on Feb. 5. The presentation will run from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

The 17th Annual Marco Symposium will continue its aim to push medieval and renaissance studies forward on April 3 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eleven speakers will present at the symposium, including UT’s own professor Robert Bast. The year’s theme of discussion is “Apocalypse.”

The 24th Annual EUReCA Undergraduate Research Exhibition will allow undergraduates to showcase a semester of hard work and research all day on April 13 in the Student Union.

Job fairs

It’s never too early to start thinking about a future career. UT’s many colleges will bring in representatives from across multiple disciplines for networking opportunities through their job fairs.

The Spring Job and Internship Fair is open to all majors. Multiple corporate employers, non-profit groups and government agencies of various professions will set up in Thompson-Boling Arena. Prepare your resume and start networking on Feb. 4.

The College of Architecture Career Day will host professional architects and architectural agencies in the Student Union. Architecture and design students can seek summer internships or long-term careers on Feb. 28.

Education students can interact with school system representatives from all over Tennessee at East Tennessee Education Fair on March 4.

Volapalooza – April

UT’s premier music festival is back. Though we don’t yet know the lineup or the exact date, we do know that it will return sometime in mid to late April.

Volapalooza is always something to look forward to as both an annual aural event and as a gathering place for fellow volunteers who love music. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for more information.