The search is on for the next dean of the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences as Dean Bob Rider has decided to step down after 15 years of service to return to a faculty position.

Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor David Manderscheid thanked Rider in an email sent out to the UT community on Wednesday, May 8.

“I want to thank Dean Rider for his service to the university,” Manderscheid said. “His commitment to students, his advocacy for the college, and his record of taking the work of the university into the community have been hallmarks of his decade and a half of service as dean.”

Jeff Fairbrother, professor and associate dean of academic and faculty affairs, will step up into the role of interim dean beginning July 1 until a new dean has been found, which Manderscheid hopes will be found by early 2020.

“I want to thank Dr. Fairbrother for agreeing to take on this role,” Manderscheid said. “I have confidence in his leadership as we move toward a new era for the college.”

A search committee has been formed with Dixie Thompson, vice provost and dean of the Graduate School, as chair. The other committee members include interim assistant dean for research and professor of nutrition Hollie Raynor; professor and head of the Department of Theory and Practice in Teacher Education Sherry Bell; professor of child and family studies Hillary Fouts; associate professor of public health Jennifer Jabson Tree; professor of kinesiology, recreation, and sport studies Steve Waller; professor and head of the Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling Jeff Cochran; associate professor of educational leadership and policy materials Terry Ishitani; assistant professor of retail, hospitality, and tourism management James Williams; and director of marketing and communications in the college Jules Morris.