Staff Report NEWS

A power outage affected campus and other areas around Knoxville Friday afternoon.

An email sent out to the UT community by Facilities Services around 3:00 p.m. confirmed the electrical issues and said that work was being done to help the situation.

“We have experienced a couple of short electrical power interruptions this afternoon,” the email read. “This has affected all Campus buildings. These are area-wide and are coming from outside the UT electrical system. We will have personnel checking and restarting equipment and will provide updates if necessary.”

A follow-up email was sent around 4:30 p.m., detailing KUB's efforts to rectify the situation.

“As a follow-up to the previous message, KUB has identified a problem,” the second email read. “KUB currently has the Campus and other areas being served from an alternate source. Once KUB has made repairs, KUB will need to perform a switching operation to put the Campus back on the normal power source. This will most likely result in another short term loss of power. 

“We have asked KUB to give us as much notice as possible to allow us to make notifications. Whenever this happens, we will have personnel checking and restarting equipment. We will continue to provide updates as necessary.”

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.