Tickle College of Engineering

Several buildings across UT's campus are experiencing a power outage.

UT's Facilities Services Communication Coordinator Sam Ledford said they received the first report of the power outage at 9:45 a.m. Friday. 

"As of right now, from everything that we know, everyone is completely safe," Ledford said. "We did have some people extracted from elevators, but those were just mostly power blips."

Ledford said that the outage was because of an issue with a traffic light installation on 16th Street and Cumberland Avenue where the crew was drilling into the ground and tapped into the Laurel Substation.

Facilities Services tweeted out that an electrical outage occurred affecting Laurel Substation at around 10:20 a.m.

The substation houses circuits that affect electricity to all of campus, with Circuit LA3 and LA4 currently still being offline. Circuit LA3 primarily affects the Hill while circuit LA4 primarily affects buildings on the West Campus.

As of 10:06 a.m. buildings from the Hill to West Campus are experiencing the outage according to student and staff reports including Alumni Memorial Building, Austin Peay, Burchfield Geography, Ferris Hall, Tickle College of Engineering building, Doughtery Engineering, Walters Life Science Building, Hesler Biology, Neilson Physics, Perkins Hall, Dogwood Hall, Fred Brown Hall, Laurel Hall, Magnolia Hall, Orange Hall, White Hall, Presidential Court, Reese Hall, Reese Chilled Water Plant (which serves Presidential, Reese, Carrick and Morrill) and the Holt Avenue and Volunteer Boulevard garages.

UT’s Facilities Services are unsure of when the power will be restored to all the buildings. 

As of 11:51 a.m., Dogwood, Magnolia, Orange and White Residential Halls, as well as Presidential Court, have all had their power restored, according to a tweet by Facilities Services. 

This is an ongoing story and will be updated as more information is made available.