One Stop

As much as college is a transitory time for students, it is also a big transition for parents as well. UT has a variety of resources available to assist parents during this time period, covering everything from financial aid to general support.

One Stop Student Services

The function of this resource is explained in its title: One Stop is the one place parents need to call get answers to all questions regarding financial aid, scholarships, grants, funds, transcripts and more. One Stop is available via telephone from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday. Additionally, One Stop is located on the bottom floor of Hodges library, and they take walk-ins from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Parent PLUS Loans

PLUS loans are special loans designed for students and their parents. These loans can cover up to the full price of attendance, minus any other financial aid and may be a good option for parents looking to alter their financial plan. More information about PLUS loans is available on the Federal Student Aid’s website.

The Parents Association

This is the number one general information resource for parents at UT. Parents can obtain an email membership with the organization for free. The association’s newsletter covers a variety of topics that concern students and their families, including updates on campus events, safety issues and other incidents — as well as reminders about important dates and activities. Parents can join the mailing list by emailing parents@utk.edu.

Additionally, parents can pay a one-time membership fee of $40 to have access to a plethora of more parent-oriented resources, such as hotel discounts, admission to special family events at UT, an annual parent calendar and the opportunity for their students to be considered for additional scholarships.

The Parents Council

The Parents Council is perhaps the most involved option for parents looking to make a change at UT. Membership requires a yearly leadership gift of $1,000, which is considered a tax-deductible gift to the university’s Parents and Family Funds. The council meets twice a year and works to represent the members of the Parents Association and their students. Additionally, campus administrators collaborate with the Parents Council to address university issues brought forward by concerned parents.

This organization requires more commitment than the Parents Association; council members are expected to volunteer at family events on campus, plan events, support UT programming and help with university recruitment.

UT Newsletter

The UT newsletter is an efficient and free way to remain up to date on what’s happening at your student’s school. To subscribe, all you have to do is enter your email address on the newsletter’s website, and the news will be delivered straight to your email inbox.

University of Tennessee - Unofficial Facebook Parent Group

Although, as indicated in the header, this Facebook group is “unofficial” and not affiliated with the university, it has nearly 3,000 members and is heavily utilized by Vol parents. Parents ask questions, share stories and give advice. It can be a great source of support for parents of college students experiencing the same challenges and learning curves, such as dropping a student off at college for the first time. You can request to join the group here.

Center for Health Education & Student Wellness

The Center for Health Education has implemented resources to help parents of college students obtain medical assistance for their children. Parents, if you feel that your child is unwell, struggling or needs assistance, do not hesitate to call the center’s hotline, 865-974-HELP. Although FERPA regulations dictate the amount of information your child is required to share with you regarding their medical history, you are still able to call this hotline anytime you are concerned about your student.

UT Police Department

Keep the UTPD’s phone numbers handy in case of emergency. The department’s non-emergency phone number is 865-974-3114, and their emergency phone number 865-974-3111. Any and all safety concerns regarding students can be directed to the UTPD.