February is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and it is important for sexual assault survivors to know that there are people who want to help. If you’ve experienced a sexual assault and are seeking support, here are several on-campus resources that can connect you with law enforcement or simply listen to you in a time of need.

Whether you have experienced sexual assault personally or want to be an advocate, there is a place for you at this university.

The Office of Title IX

Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 prohibits discrimination based on sex under an educational program. The Office of Title IX provides resources to students who have been sexually assaulted or discriminated against based on sex. Students can file a report through the Office of Title IX or be connected to law enforcement with the help of Title IX members. The Office of Title IX attempts to keep matters private within UT policy.

UT Counseling Center

The Counseling Center provides urgent care to those who have been sexually assaulted.

To make an urgent appointment, the Counseling Center recommends calling at 865-974-2196 or dropping by the office between 10 a.m and 3 p.m. The center also provides a 24 hour hotline for students in crisis who need help after regular business hours. To call, dial 865-974-HELP.

The Counseling Center keeps all conversations strictly confidential for those who wish to keep matters private.

Women’s Coordinating Council

The Women’s Coordinating Council is a student organization that focuses on empowering people of all genders through a feminist lens. The organization raises awareness for domestic and sexual violence and also supports survivors.

The groups’ past events have included Take Back the Night, an international movement in which people march at night against sexual violence, and performances of the “Vagina Monologues”to raise money for the Sexual Assault Center for East Tennessee.

Students can get involved with the organization through VOLink.

The Men’s Project

The Men’s Project aims to start an ongoing conversation between men about violence. The main goal is the prevention of violence, not only within themselves but for all men. The group talks about societal expectations of masculinity, family structure and other societal normalities that support brutality in men.

To get involved, you can contact the president of the Men’s Project at UT Don Black at dblack17@vols.utk.edu.

The Center for Health Education and Wellness

The Center for Health Education and Wellness works to create a better community on campus. Groups that promote honest conversations about sexual assault, such as VOLS 2 VOLS and Volunteers Speak UP!, are run through CHEW. For anyone that wants to get involved in creating a campus community that supports survivors, CHEW has a group for you.

The Office of Equity and Diversity

The Office of Equity and Diversity provides students and faculty with a safe place to report sexual harassment cases. The Office of Equity and Diversity works closely with the Office of Title IX to ensure that all Vols are provided with a high level of care and support. Both offices are located on Melrose Avenue.

For support outside of the university, please call the National Hotline for Sexual Assault, which can be reached at 1-800-656-HOPE(4673) and is available 24 hours a day.