The University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, sent out an alert notifying the campus of a man carrying a rifle on nearby East 8th Street on Wednesday.

At 11:19 a.m., the university sent out an alert assuring students that the campus was not in lockdown, and Fletcher Hall was evacuated soon thereafter.

The active shooter was later considered a non-threat, being an off-duty Chattanooga police officer who had just finished his shift and was carrying his gear, according to Chattanooga Police Chief David Roddy.

The officer’s presence on campus caused panic given the increase in campus gun-violence across the country.

In a news press conference last spring, UT Police Chief Troy Lane said, “Active shooting is, for most, on everyone’s minds these days. … This is something we train on actively every year.”

Earlier in 2019, UT Knoxville conducted an active shooter drill in efforts to further prepare students for possible situations like this.

UTPD offers active shooter classes and drills along with helpful information on their website to educate UT students, faculty and staff. Those resources can be found here.

This story is still developing. We will update this article as more information is released.