Donde Plowman

Chancellor-elect Donde Plowman speaks ahead of her July 1 start day on Monday, May 6. 

Today marks Donde Plowman’s first day in her position as UT’s ninth chancellor.

Plowman addressed the campus community in an email Monday morning, naming her goals for day one of her chancellor tenure.

“I could not be more excited for today, my first day as your chancellor,“ Plowman said. "In the nine years since I was a faculty member here, I’ve watched UT flourish and grow."

In the email, Plowman acknowledged the positives about the university, making note of the size of the student body, the university’s national recognition for academic programs and the beautification efforts on campus.

Plowman said she plans to meet with Student Government Association President Natalie Campbell in order to establish a starting point for her term.

“One of the important meetings I will have today is with Natalie Campbell, student body president, to begin learning right away what is on the mind of students,” Plowman said. “Our undergraduate and graduate students are what makes this university such an exciting place to be, and I want to listen and learn about the things that are important to you.”

Plowman previously held a position in the Haslam College of Business as a faculty member, and served as the department head from 2007 to 2010. She served as the Stuart Dean of the College of Business administration at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, eventually becoming executive vice chancellor, where she oversaw academic affairs, the Office of Research Economic Development and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.

In her time at Nebraska-Lincoln, enrollment increased by more than a third over six years, 70 more faculty were hired, and new academic programs created and student services were expanded.

Plowman was at the forefront of a fundraising campaign that raised nearly $150 million, including $84 million for a new building that opened in August 2017. Additionally, the college moved up in rankings — No. 72 to No. 45 — in the US News & World Report list of undergraduate business programs.

She began at the University of Texas at San Antonio as an assistant professor of management before advancing to the position of professor and associate dean for graduate studies and research, where she was responsible for creating the doctorate degree in business.

Now, Plowman looks forward to serving UT as chancellor.

“At Hodges Library last week, the staff welcomed me with a beautifully painted window with the words ‘The best journeys always lead you home,’ Plowman said. "I am certainly glad to be home.“