Murder Mystery
2 actors from the Murder Mystery Co. act out a scene from the Murder Mystery show in the Student Union Ballroom on January 10, 2020.

On Friday night, the barren trees of the winter months and the empty streets of campus set the scene for the case of the groom who never had the chance to say “I do” to his beloved bride.

Not to worry; no real harm occurred on that January night, as the act was set up by the Murder Mystery Company as a part of UT’s Welcome Week, which is a week of playful events to welcome students back to campus. The event was held by Campus Events Board (CEB) and the Center for Student Engagement.

The Murder Mystery Company provides actors, who improvise throughout the show to create an individualized experience. The actors dress in the attire the show calls for, which in this case was a 1920s theme.

The show was focused on a woman named Brooks and Dunn, who was the stepdaughter of a Mafia leader. Brooks and Dunn was to be married to the Mafia’s accountant, Numbers. While she was not particularly fond of being tied down to Numbers for the rest of her years, Brooks and Dunn was still quite angry to learn Numbers had stood her up on the day of the wedding.

However, the wedding crowd was later shocked to learn that the groom did not stand up his soon-to-be wife, but was instead murdered before he could make it to the speakeasy.

The murder suspects, who ranged from a rival Russian gang member to an eight-year-old child, were introduced to the audience. Even the most seemingly innocent could have been in fact the guiltiest.

At this point, it was up to the audience to decipher who was the cold-blooded murderer.

Audience members were divided into teams by table and were given individual roles to use throughout the show to help them solve the crime. The teams were given hilarious group names, such as the Banana Hammock Investigative Team.

The detectives were given clues as the story played out, which could eventually lead to an arrest if used correctly.

Ultimately, the crowd discovered that, shockingly, Numbers was murdered by Brooks and Dunn’s own mother, Greta.

Murder mystery connoisseur Audrey Shrewsbury was excited that CEB decided to throw such an exciting event. Shrewsbury participated in a murder mystery show as a child and looked forward to the chance to try and solve a crime instead of being in the act.

“It was really fun to see people in their best 1920s attire, but whether you came dressed up or not, you were bound to have a fun time if you let yourself be drawn into the story,” Shrewsbury said.

The executives of Welcome Week consulted CEB in order to come up with a unique event that would draw in a crowd.

Executive chair of CEB’s Entertainment Committee Spencer Howell explained how CEB accomplished the murder mystery extravaganza party.

“All three committees of CEB joined forces in order to come up with an event that a multitude of students would enjoy. Welcome Week executives contacted CEB to come up with a fun event, and we were excited for the opportunity to come up with a new event for campus,” Howell said.