Veteran's Resource Center Dedication02

Major General Terry M. “Max” Haston, Tennessee's Adjutant General speaks at the Veteran's Resource Center dedication ceremony on Nov. 17, 2017. 

You’ve served you country, so the least UT can do is help you out.

More and more Volunteers fund their education through military service. For those Volunteers, readjusting to civilian life can be a struggle.

If you’re one of these students, you’re not alone. There are multiple resources available on Rocky Top to help you through any transitions or adjustments. If you’ve been searching for any sort of aid, here are a few options.

SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society

SALUTE is an honor society exclusively for veteran Vols. The honors society dedicates itself to recognizing academic achievement, leadership skills and ethical behavior among UT’s student veteran population. Any serviceman or woman in a UT undergraduate, graduate or professional program may join as long as they’re in good academic standing.

If you excelled in service and now want to excel in studies, consider the SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society. For more information, contact SALUTE’s chapter advisor Thomas Cruise at tcruise@utk.edu.

Vol Fighters

The Student Veterans of America is non-profit dedicated to addressing student veteran need. UT has its own SVA branch, the Vol Fighters.

Vol Fighters aims to improve the veteran educational environment and build a better understanding between veteran students and UT faculty. They also organize multiple veteran experiences, including Veterans Day events, Memorial Day events, Social Support Group and networking events.

Vol Fighters also connects veterans to other veterans. If your search for someone who understands you experience has come up short, Vol Fighters is for you. Interested parties can apply through the Vol Fighters link on the UT Veteran Resources webpage.

UT counseling center

Going from military service to civilian and student life is no easy task. The emotional tax can be hard to bear, especially for those suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

However, no one needs to struggle alone. UT’s counseling center and their team of professionals can help you through emotional struggles and adjustments. No one needs a specific reason to seek counseling, all they need do is seek it.

The center’s counsellors can also refer you to other highly qualified services if UT’s leave you unsatisfied. Schedule a meeting with a UT counsellor if you feel the need.

Additionally, UT’s Therapy Assistance Online offers virtual counseling resources.

Veterans Resource Center

The Resource Center is the university’s go-to hub for G.I. academic aid. It’s through the Resource Center that veteran students apply for service transfer credits, finalize financial aid and schedule academic advising appointments.

Members of the National Guard can apply for Tennessee’s STRONG Act through the Resource Center and receive more college funds. Recipients of the Purple Heart can find special parking. In fact, any student veteran can apply for UT veteran scholarships.

They’re not just for service. The Resource Center also organizes networking events, Social Support Group meetings and counseling services, among other invaluable assets.

You can find the Resource Center on the ground floor of Hodges Library.