National Pan-Hellenic Council Monuments Groundbreaking Ceremony

Members of the UT community use special orange shovels to break ground for the National Pan-Hellenic Council Monuments which will represent the nine historical African American sororities and fraternities on UT's campus.

Before Saturday evening’s Homecoming game, UT celebrated the groundbreaking of several new monuments on campus. The nine monuments will be dedicated to the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), and each monument will represent one of UT’s nine historically African American sororities and fraternities. UT’s oldest historically black fraternity, Omega Psi Phi, and oldest historically black sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha, will both be celebrating their 50th anniversaries in 2020.

Dozens of UT faculty, staff, students and alumni gathered to enjoy Saturday’s celebration. Chancellor Donde Plowman, among other university leaders, was also in attendance at the event.

The statues will be located on Johnson-Ward Pedestrian Walkway, near the Humanities and Social Sciences amphitheater.

The monuments aim to celebrate the diversity and inclusion on campus that has been fostered by the National Pan-Hellenic Council. The sororities and fraternities that are part of the NPHC have played a vital role at UT in celebrating different cultures, raising awareness about pertinent issues and encouraging activism.

Recently, NPHC has greatly broadened its reach on campus; the council has grown by more than 500% in the last four years.