UT Graduation Fall 2018

The Fall 2018 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony  at Thompson-Boling Assembly Center and Arena on December 14, 2018. 

4,228 degrees will be awarded over the next week, as 3,253 undergraduates, 783 graduates, 110 law students and 82 veterinary students graduate, and some ROTC cadets are commissioned. Ceremonies will begin tomorrow, finishing May 11.

Graduates and guests are allowed parking across campus in student parking areas, but are asked to refrain from parking in staff parking areas. Arena large-event security protocol is enforced, and guests are allowed one clear plastic bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches. Walk-through metal detectors will be in place at all arena entrances.

Wednesday, May 8

Audiology and speech pathology students, who are studying in a joint program between the department of theory and practice in teacher education and the department of audiology and speech pathology at the UT Health Science Center, will graduate at 4 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena. Undergraduate Jackson Marshall, audiology graduate student Abbey Stigers and speech language pathology graduate student Nolan Sexton will speak at the ceremony.

Thursday, May 9

Tickle College of Engineering students will receive their degrees at 9 a.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena. Founding member and partner of RLJ Equity Partners and chemical engineering alumna Jerry Johnson will serve as guest speaker. Johnson also served as a special assistant to the secretary of defense under President George W. Bush, and he was awarded the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2009.

President and CEO of Farm Credit Mid-America, which serves farmers, agribusiness and rural residents in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee, Bill Johnson will help ring in the new class of Herbert College of Agriculture. The ceremony will begin at 12:30 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena.

College of Communication and Information students will be the next to walk the stage, with alumna Missy Wallen speaking at 4 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena. Wallen is the chairman of Pinnacle Financial Partners Inc. and holds a UT bachelor's degree in speech and theatre. She currently serves on the Alumni Association board and has served on the College of Communication and Information Board of Visitors.

Jamie Greig, who is receiving a doctorate in communication and information, will speak at the Graduate Hooding. Originally from Scotland, Greig served as both senate chair and vice president of the Graduate Student Senate and looks to manage a community broadband project in Tennessee after graduation. The hooding begins at 7:30 p.m. in Thompson Boling Arena.

Friday, May 10

College of Education, Health and Human Sciences graduates will kick off Friday, with an 8:30 a.m. start time at Thompson-Boling Arena. Chancellor of UT Martin Keith Carver, who previously served as executive assistant to the UT System president, will speak. Carver earned his master's degree in college student personnel and educational leadership and his doctoral degree from UT.

UT Honors alumnus and singer-songwriter Drew Holcomb of Drew Holcomb and The Neighbors will speak at the Chancellor's Honors Program graduation in the Student Union Auditorium at 10:30 a.m. The group has released 12 studio albums since Drew married UT honors alumnus and musician Ellie Bannister in 2006.

The College of Law graduates will walk across the stage next, as alumnus Ali Safavi speaks. Safavi held positions with companies like Hewlett-Packard, Haagen-Dazs, and Walt Disney Studios before becoming a full-time real estate investor. The ceremony starts at noon in Thompson-Boling Arena.

1983 Haslam College of Business graduate John Compton will speak at his alma mater's ceremony at 3:30 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena. Compton is a partner for private investment firm Clayton, Dubilier and Rice and serves on the Dean's Advisory Board. Compton is also the chair of the Board of Trustees.

College of Nursing students will receive their diplomas next, with a 7:30 p.m. ceremony at Thompson-Boling Arena. Graduating senior and president of the UT Student Nurses Association Kayla Leko and doctoral candidate in nursing Jennifer Shearer Miller will speak at the graduation. Leko has accepted a position at CHI Memorial Hospital in Chattanooga and Shearer Miller is a registered nurse with experience in neonatal intensive care.

Saturday, May 11

Alumnu and partner and co-founder of Consonance Capital Partners Nancy-Ann DeParle will speak at the College of Arts and Sciences ceremony at 9 a.m. at Thompson-Boling Arena. DeParle is also a director CVS Health and HCA Healthcare and served for two years as assistant to the president and deputy chief of staff for policy under President Barack Obama. Serving as student body president while at UT, DeParle graduated as a part of the College Scholars program.

College of Veterinary Medicine students will officially graduate next in the Alumni Memorial Building of Cox Auditorium at 10 a.m. Professor of small animal surgery, Karen Tobias, and co-presidents of the Class of 2019, Abigail Geick and Andrew Jordan, will speak. Chair of the college's alumni council Kathleen Kunkel will present awards to distinguished alumni.

First-generation student and bachelor's degree recipient, Mackenzie Hunter, and master's degree recipient Morgan Booker will speak at the College of Social Work graduation at 1:30 p.m. in Thompson-Boling Arena. Interim President Randy Boyd will also speak.

College of Architecture and Design students will be the last to receive their diplomas, with alumna Sheila Dial-Barton bringing in the graduates as speaker. Dial-Barton is a principal with EOA Architects in Nashville who received her bachelor's degree in architecture from UT in 1997.

All Thomspon-Boling Arena ceremonies will be live-streamed on the commencement website