Police car by Student Union

Police cars stand outside Phase One of the Student Union as a fire alarm went off inside on Wednesday, November 13, 2019.

In the past 24 hours, the fire alarms at the Student Union have gone off three times, resulting in multiple evacuations of the area.

The first instance occurred early Wednesday afternoon. Fire alarms sounded around noon.

The next instance occurred Wednesday night around 8 p.m. Multiple fire trucks pulled up to the Student Union to respond to the alarms.

Fire alarms sounded again at the Union around 10:30 a.m. Thursday. Once again, multiple fire trucks arrived at the scene to respond to the alarms.

Public Information Officer for the UT Police Department, Lola Alapo, confirmed that the first two alarms were false alarms.

“Any time a fire alarm goes off, we evacuate the building as a precaution," Alapo told the Daily Beacon on Wednesday after the first alarm.

The third alarm was caused by the grill in Steak ‘n Shake, although there was not a fire. Alapo said that the situation occurred because the oven was slightly too hot and set off the alarm.

The Student Union was evacuated during each alarm. Alapo explained that evacuation during an alarm is a routine precaution and procedure and not a cause for concern.

“If you hear a fire alarm in a building, you need to leave the building,” Alapo said. “So, that’s not anything unusual or out of the ordinary.”