TedXWomen

TEDxUTK and the Women's Coordinating Council team up and welcome people to the screening of the TEDWomen 2018 conference screening in the Art and Architecture Building on Nov. 29, 2018. 

TEDxUTK and the Women's Coordinating Council (WCC) teamed up to encourage students and the public to “show up” to their screening of the TEDWomen 2018 conference. 

The two organizations offered the chance to view a live stream of the conference “Showing Up” Thursday evening.

The live stream of the conference, which is taking place live in Palm Springs, Calif., from Nov. 28-30, was available for viewing at the Art and Architecture building beginning at 4:25 p.m. and lasting until 7 p.m. Students and the public were able to sign up for tickets in advance online or were able to simply show up to view the live stream.

This year's conference featured speeches and performances covering a wide range of topics, all of which seek to encourage women and girls to be change makers and creators and to cease accepting the status quo by “showing up.”

According to TEDxUTK's website, “TEDWomen2018 brings together a global women's community interested in exploring how change begins. The TEDWomen program of talks and daring discussions has sparked some of TED's most iconic moments yet.” 

Speakers covered subjects such as the Me Too movement, working conditions of domestic immigrant workers, climate change, stories of perseverance and more. Speeches were presented by a wide range of international speakers including people of both genders and people of color. 

Some speakers included Me Too movement founder Tarana Burke, civil rights activist Dolores Huerta, activist Ai-jen Poo and others. 

“Hearing from founder of the Me Too moment, and her take on that 10 years after it began and hearing Dolores Huerta speak was great and really inspiring,” sophomore studying neuroscience and WCC member Parker Stevenson said. 

Snacks and refreshments were available throughout the showing of the conference. Additionally, several other student organizations including SexWeek UTK, The Office of Title IX, She's the First and the WCC came out to provide information for students.

“The TEDxUTK puts on a conference every spring, and we really felt the this really fit a need for women's inclusion on campus,” junior in neuroscience and TEDxUTK head of logistics Sonal Khedkar said. “We hope that this event provided an opportunity to bring more awareness to students on campus.”

“The whole event really hit home, seeing as the (WCC) just hosted the Take Back the Night event for students,” Stevenson said. 

Anyone wishing to view the remainder of the conference or to get highlights from previous speakers can visit the TED.com website. Additionally, interested students can look for more information in the coming months about the TEDxUTK Spring conferences, which will feature more local speakers and presentations.