February has arrived, which means the Season of Love has begun. However, don’t wait until the week of to the get your plans straight. Here are some things you can do to prepare for Saint Valentine’s Day.

For Couples

Ask your significant other if they’re okay with festivities

Valentine’s Day celebrations aren’t for everyone, and that’s okay. So, don’t plan anything large-scale, or anything for that matter, without asking if your significant other is okay with it. You shouldn’t feel obligated or pressured to show your love a specific way, so do whatever makes you two happy. Just be sure you’re communicating honestly with each other.

Decide what you want to eat and make reservations if necessary

If you two do decide on festivities, and if those festivities involve food, nothing kills holiday spirit like not knowing what to eat. Valentine’s Day is about celebrating your appreciation and love for each other, so have something you both like. Whether you’re wining-and-dining or ordering a pizza, it all comes down to if you enjoy what you’re doing.

Show your appreciation through small efforts

Valentine’s Day is only one day each year, so don’t save all your love for it! Take the time each day to do something extra for your significant other to show him or her how much you care. You can make them a meal, take them on a small date or simply talk to them about how important they are to you. It’s the little things that count.

Make a Card

Though this could have fit into “small gesture,” I believe card’s and card-making deserve a section all on its own. Cards are a cheap and easy way to show appreciation, but you don’t have to settle for generic, store-bought fluff.

Since you’re starting early, find a way to make your card unique. You can write a poem, draw a picture, invent a clever pun/dad joke, etc. The world’s your oyster in this regard.

However, if cards aren’t for you or your second-half, then this section needn’t apply to you.

For Singles

Take advantage of the extra study time

Being single has its benefits. Less time dedicated to dates means more time you can do homework and improve your grades.

Do something that makes you happy

Celebrations of love should include self-love and this time of year can be stressful for those not currently dating. You needn’t feel pressure to find a date or act a certain way. Instead, focus on what satisfies you.

If you have a hobby you love but haven’t been able to attend to lately, take this month to dedicate some time to it. If you’ve a friend group you love hanging out with, try making plans with them.

Catch up on that show you like. Play that game you bought but couldn’t spare time for. No matter what, you deserve to take some time to love yourself.

For both

Talk to your loved ones

Romantic love isn’t the only kind of love that matters, there’s also the love you have for friends and family. Take this opportunity to tell them how much they mean to you. Call your folks and catch up with them. Talk to the friends who’ve been stressed the past few weeks. Pet your dog. Let the people you love know that you love and appreciate them.