International House

The International House is a place on campus where international students can find resources and information as well as form relationships with other students. 

This week marks International Education Week, an endeavor created by the United States Department of State and Department of Education to encourage international preparation and leadership from inside and outside the country. UT has multiple events planned from Monday to Friday in promotion of international students and experiences. 

Here's a day-by-day breakdown of how you can celebrate International Education Week on campus: 

Monday

The week will kick off with “Why International Student Recruitment Matters,” a panel discussion about the importance of international students on campus and recruiting internationally, at the International House at 3:30 p.m. 

The International House will also hold language practice group sessions going from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., and the Campus Events Board (CEB) will host travel bloggers and vloggers Damon and Jo for a “Shut Up and Go” event dealing with traveling and language learning at 7 p.m. at the Alumni Memorial Building.

Tuesday

An “Introduction to International Scholarships and Fellowships,” held by the UT Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships, goes from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the International House. Hodges Library will screen foreign film “Pelo Malo” (Bad Hair) at 7 p.m. at the library's auditorium. Admission to the screening is free. 

Wednesday

Hodges Library will host a Puerto Rico-themed International Coffeehouse event, where students and staff can meet new people while eating snacks and drinking coffee, in the Mary E. Greer room from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Also, students from the Language and World Business class will host “The Role of Language in Today's Global Market” where they will show posters that present how language and business intersect with the current market, at the International House's Great Room from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. 

A free event titled “Global Experiences Conference: Bringing the World to Rocky Top” runs from 3 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Panhellenic Building. It will feature a presentation by WUOT staffer and UT alumnus Todd Steed and presentations and posters in order to share international-related wisdom and experiences. 

Thursday

Thursday will feature two events at the Hodges Library, starting with “Best Practices for Teaching International Students” from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Room 213. The English Language Institute's Anthony Schmidt and Em Chitty are slated to work with participants to explore content about learning and teaching regarding international students. 

The second event is an information session by the UT Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships concerning The Fulbright, a United States international enhance student program that funds graduate and post-graduate works in more than 140 countries worldwide.

Information will also be given about UT's Exploration Grant Program, which works to support UT students in looking into competitive scholarships, including the Fulbright. 

It will begin at 5:30 p.m. in room 213 of Hodges Library. 

Friday

International Education Week will conclude with the official launch of the “Smith Center for International Sustainable Agriculture” at the arena in the Brehm Animal Science Building.

The launch starts at 1 p.m. and lasts until 3 p.m., with speakers including former United States Ambassador to Rwanda Erica Barks-Ruggles and UT President Joe DiPietro.