Snow Day

As exams rapidly approach, many students are beginning to form their plans for winter break, whether that be heading home, going on a trip for the holidays or simply staying in Knoxville.

For those of you that fall into that last category, here are some events happening around campus to entertain yourself with over the long break.

“Science in Motion” exhibit

If you haven’t yet seen the “Science in Motion” exhibit at McClung Museum, you have just over a month left to visit the gallery.

The exhibit displays the work of three of the most historically important photographers: Eadweard Muybridge, Harold Edgerton and Berenice Abbott. The gallery also aims to display the intersection between the art and science of photography. In fact, two of the photographers in the exhibit originally worked as scientists, which allowed them to take a more scientific approach to their work.

Additionally, the exhibit is interactive; there are multiple activities to participate in that demonstrate the science behind the photographs in the exhibit, including an example of the mechanical predecessor to the motion picture machine.

The exhibit will be open in McClung Museum through Jan. 5. The museum will be closed for the holidays from Dec. 23 to 25.

“A Christmas Carol”

A Christmas Carol

Clarence Brown Theatre, the on-campus professional theatre located next to the Art and Architecture Building, has been showing their production of “A Christmas Carol” since late November, and the play will continue through Dec. 21st.

The adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic novel tells the story of the disgruntled Ebenezer Scrooge, who learns about the mistakes he’s made and the value of the Christmas spirit through the ghosts of Christmas past, present and future.

Tickets are available online, and the last showing of “A Christmas Carol” will be held on Dec. 21 at 7:30 p.m.

Learn about Karl Marx

Throughout the semester, the Knoxville chapter of the Platypus Affiliated Society, a historical group, has been hosting free discussions on the history of Marxism on campus. The next discussion will take place on Dec. 15 in the Humanities and Social Sciences building, room 69. No prior knowledge of the subject is necessary to attend.

The group aims to provide a historical background of the left side of American politics through historical analysis and philosophical reading.

The Dec. 15 session will be primarily focusing on the works of Hungarian philosopher and Marxist Georg Lukács, who is commonly recognized for bringing Marxism to the western world.

If you’re looking to keep your brain cells sharp by learning something new about a niche topic this break, this discussion on Marxism might be perfect for you. More information about the group’s readings, itinerary and upcoming events is available online.

Sophomore Boot Camp

This free event is exclusively available to second-year students. On Jan. 7, the last day of Winter Break, students are invited to a half-day professional development conference that will assist students with a variety of professional endeavors, including résumé improvement, searching for internships, access to scholarships and fellowships, grad school preparation, study abroad preparation and more.

All participants will receive a professional padfolio, and the first 100 students to arrive will receive a ticket to the etiquette luncheon.

Registration is available online.